Stone Roses reunion

I think you have to remember the times to put the impact that the Rises had into context.
It was the arse end of Thatcherism. Youth had very little to cheer about for most of that decade. The popularisation of Ecstasy had much to do with it. The football crowd started necking it and became more interested in clothes than punch ups and Manchesters gangs were still dishing out kickings rather than shootings in 87-88. Dance music was replacing the turgid MTV rock with its dinosaurs like Phil Collins and everyone wanted to be in a band all of a sudden.
The Roses came along just at the right time. They were just lads like us- same clothes, same attitude and had been brought up on the same records- the good stuff from our parents collections.
The music was fresh, exciting, combining the best elements of rock, pop and dance. We really thought they were on some unholy mission to wipe away all the dire dross we had put up with since the demise of The Smiths. The jangling guitar riffs and funky drums were so in tune with those warm hazy summers spent lazing around in that golden time between the oppression of school and the tedium of the 9 to 5.
The arrogance, the swagger, the tight gang mentality, coupled with the music made you think they would actually be bigger than the Beatles (without them having to say so every two minutes like those gobshite brothers from Burnage a few years later). The contradictions were rife- the stone and the rose, the loved up vibe underscoring a bitterness, love and insurection, shades of dark and light, life, death, optimism and destruction- often all in the same song, the cool as **** frontman, Mani's amazing rounded bass lines, Reni's awsome drum work and Squires magic cascading through those Messa Boogie Amps were such a powerful tonic.
They could have had it all.

They were the shot in the arm that British youth culture needed and there aren't many bands over the last 20 years that havent been influenced by those four dodgy looking characters from South Manchester.

Dr S":qjotkerd said:
al":qjotkerd said:
Dr S":qjotkerd said:
I used to walk though Heaton Park every day when i lived in Didsbury. Still have friends there so getting bed space isn't an issue. Still undecided wether to go or not. Some things are sometimes left in the past.

Blimey! That's hell of a walk. ;)

I'm a Northenden boy that lived in Didsbury for about 6 years. When and where did you live?

al.

I didn't walk from Didsbury. :LOL: I worked up that way for a spell and the park was a nice lunchtime escape from football talk.

I lived on Claremont Grove (just of Barlow Moor Road) from around 1997 to 1999 when we moved to Northumberland. Lived in Withington and Fallowfield before that.
Loved Didsbury. A really nice place. Nice walks along the river down towards Northenden.

I always remember Didsbury as some real life Stella Street. On our first day there we discovered that Charlatans front man Tim Burgess lived over the road, the house next door was being used to film Cold Feet, and on our first weekend we went out for a meal and ended up sharing a table with Mani and his girlfriend. Dave from Monaco lived a few doors down and became a good friend and most sunday afternoons were spent in the Metropolitan with Damon Gough and verious members of Audioweb and Doves.
Happy days.

Yeah! Didsbury is a great place to live.

I lived on Old Lansdowne Rd for a couple of years and then moved into my missus place in the posher part, Lancaster Rd off Barlow Moor.

The only reason we could afford to up sticks to Cornwall was the fact the property prices went through the roof in Didsbey in mid 90's.
You're right about faces around the place. Doing your shopping was like walking into the Granada studios some days.

An almost funny story about the stone Roses was, I went to Leicester De montford Hall to a gig in about 88ish. I was dancing my T*ts off all night at the front as it was a great gig.
we got away from the Hall sharpish to get back to Manchester for some scran and I was dropped off at Lapwing lane Chippy. Ian Brown and Mani walked in as I was ordering my Curry n chips. The look on their faces on seeing me was priceless! I could hear one of them saying "It is him, It's the same lad"
As I walked out with my supper, I looked up and said "Ya right lads, crackin' gig" Think they thought I was some kind of stalker or something.

That story does look very lame in print! You should have been there,as they say.

al. :D

I saw them in '89.
Emperors new clothes is how I described it at the time and I still think I hit the nail on the head.
The venue was half empty, but I have met people who told me they queued up outside but couldn't get in.
Myths.

The hype was huge, when people saw that they were actually rubbish they didn't know what to do so they perpetuated the myth that there was something special.

Ian Brown can not carry a tune in a bucket. The others may be pretty good on their own but if the bass, drums and guitar are all playing at different times and missing their queues the band sounds bad. and not in a good way.

There are some great songs on them 2 albums, pity they can't play them.

Andrew Eldridge":39tahn9v said:
I saw them in '89.
Emperors new clothes is how I described it at the time and I still think I hit the nail on the head.
The venue was half empty, but I have met people who told me they queued up outside but couldn't get in.
Myths.

The hype was huge, when people saw that they were actually rubbish they didn't know what to do so they perpetuated the myth that there was something special.

Ian Brown can not carry a tune in a bucket. The others may be pretty good on their own but if the bass, drums and guitar are all playing at different times and missing their queues the band sounds bad. and not in a good way.

There are some great songs on them 2 albums, pity they can't play them.

I totally agree to an extent. They were pretty shambolic at best. Browns vocals were absolutely dire but he got away with it. Reni was always pretty tight and Mani could dothe business if he wasn't too fucked (which he usually was). But that was part of the experience. When they got it together they were magic. I remember one gig and the intro to I wanna be adored being done so well it sent shivers up the spine (until Brown started singing that is). There was the occasional showing of brilliance but like you say, on the whole they were rubbish live.

But aren't lots of great bands like that? I once went to watch Spiritualized in Bradford and it was the most amazing gig i had ever seen. Completely captivating from start to finish. Three nights later i headed down to Nottingham with a mini bus full of friends who I'd told they were about to see the best gig ever, only to see an absolute howler. They were shockingly bad.

I guess you have to form an opinion as a whole rather than an individual experience.

I love this Stone Roses bashing on a thread about the Stone Roses reforming! :roll:

Someone start a thread about Def f****** Lappard and I promise I wont go on and slag them off.

I'm sure there are places you could discuss middle of the road bland American-a-like soft rock music,Isn't there?

al.

If punching youself in the face hurts, get me to do it for you.
:D

Spritualized Dr S?

Jesus and Mary Chain at the Hacc' in the mid 80's was shocking, they were so off it that they didn't know what city they were playng in!

They came on an hour late then swore at the audiance, started one song three times never finished it, Bobby kicked his kit over and they left to a barrage of heckles and beer cans raining down from the balcony, it was awefull!

And I loved every minute. :D

Also, The men they couldn't hang at the International 1 was epic. Made even more so by being punched and Kicked by half a dozen Rocker billies.

al.

Saw JAMC a few times. Always bad. Those Reid brothers had a lot of issues. Made those Gallaghers look like Jedward. Made some great records though.

Loved Spiritualized. Got a little samey samey over the last decade but Pure Phase and Ladies and Gentlemen were fantastic records.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iePKcrA ... re=related

Reni is without doubt one of the best drummers to ever be recorded - right up there with the likes of John Bonham.

check this link - its the drum track from loves spreads, but the man has such a groove.

I hit the tail end of the roses and only managed to see them with Robbie Maddix playing the drums, so I'm relishing the oportunity to see Reni, but I have a real fear that its going to be a car crash.....

Back