Spokes - looking for a supplier

glpinxit

Retro Guru
I'm about to build a pair of wheels and looking for recommendations for suppliers for the spokes. Looking at Sapim or DT (Race or Competition double butted, stainless).

(Mavic GP4 rims and Campagnolo Record hubs, if you are interested.)

Re:

Either are good,suppose dt are more period though,Sapim are substantially cheaper and dont seem any weaker.I've built with both and currently ride with both.

Sapim and DT both use the same grade steel (sandvic) for their spokes, I don't notice a difference in quality. I prefer standard Sapim brass nipples over DT brass but have no issued with alloy or DT prolock.

Re:

I second Jonny69 in recommending Cyclebasket.com

ACI Alpina Stainless Steel double butted spokes 2.0/1.7/2.0

Only 21p each :shock: :shock:

I've built 5 or 6 sets of wheels with them and they're just as good as a wheelset I built with Sapim double butted spokes.

Thanks for that link to Cyclebasket as I am just about to build a new set of wheels for the Big Dummy. Much appreciated.
Have used a couple of different people in the past, but not done a wheel for a few years, but that shop looks good to me :)

Jamie

Re: Spokes

Prior to Brexit, I used Rose Bikes in Germany. Even now, with £7.50 postage charges, silver DT Swiss competition spokes at 34p each, works out cheaper than a UK retailers 47p with free postage (eg. 72 spokes would be £9.36 dearer).

Back