Skewer switch ......

abailcb

Dirt Disciple
I figure a lot of you already know this, but I thought I'd post it here just in case it comes in handy for a few .....

Somehow ended up with 3 rear m900 skewers and one front for my two wheelsets. Decided to cheat a little and make a front from the rear.

A lot of shimano skewers are basically the same, save for the grade of materials and the ends.

I had this orphan LX front sitting in the parts so it is going to donate the shaft. I believe you should be able to unscrew this type lever, but it requires heating first due to loctite. I didn't feel like messing with the torch so I just cut the lever off with a rotary tool :?

The 900 skewer and others including the same generation XT's have a tiney clip that retains the lever .....

Since the LX lever was fastened on the outside, instead of with a clip, the head was a little wider. I ran it up the grinder a few secs and made it just narrow enough to get the clip on .....

Replace the opposite end and now I've got my cheater front ......... Not original spec, but it'll get the job done.

Attachments

• STA71967.JPG
    STA71967.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 158
  • STA71968.JPG
    STA71968.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 158
  • STA71975.JPG
    STA71975.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 158
  • STA71970.JPG
    STA71970.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 158
I did consider that first but .......

Fine threaded dies in that size are not a common and never included in a standard kit. I'd have to go to a specialty shop to find it.
Also, the skewers are necked down slightly before the threads start.
Lastly, I'm not sure how you'd be able to clamp onto such a small shaft tightly enough to be able to cut threads (without damaging the shaft).

Besides ..... the LX skewer was just gathering dust and it took me 5 minutes.

Back