Silly question time...re. 7 speed shifter and 9 speed R/mech

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
As above, I'm fancying a 7 speed thumb shifter, and therefore obviously 7 speed cassette, or maybe 8 speed with magic 8th click.... :?

I've got a rather gorgeous XTR 9 speed rear mech though I wanted to use, will that work with this set up or is it all completely different cable pull, etc....? Sorry, sure this has been asked before but can't find the thread now!

Cheers, Kaz

LikeClockwork":mp3hfxuh said:
As above, I'm fancying a 7 speed thumb shifter, and therefore obviously 7 speed cassette, or maybe 8 speed with magic 8th click.... :?

I've got a rather gorgeous XTR 9 speed rear mech though I wanted to use, will that work with this set up or is it all completely different cable pull, etc....? Sorry, sure this has been asked before but can't find the thread now!

Cheers, Kaz

It works fine! :D

Do you intend to use the thumb shifters in friction mode? Then I believe it will work no problem :).

If you want to use indexed mode, you will obviously not be able to use one of the gears if you are using a 7 speed shifter with secret 8th click.

Here is a recent thread on thumb shifters. Hamster said that the cog spacing is different between 7 and 8 speed. I assume then that there is also a different cog spacing between 7 and 9 so it may not work perfectly in indexed mode. He suggested to set up the gears from the middle of the cassette (5th cog) in order to lessen the effect of the different cog spacings.

Or you could try a 9 speed thumb shifter like this sunrace one, or this dura-ace type.

Re:

Thanks chaps! :D

Those 9 speed thumbies are giving me ideas....originally I just fancied using a 7 speed thumbie for the retro look, as the bike is 1992, but there will be bits of modern kit on it too, like the XTR mech, would be nice to get it all working together. Would just keep in friction mode for simplicity and 'old school' feel. Unless, of course, I go 9 speed now.... :facepalm:

Would be single ring up front.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Those modern shifters are designed for road and have a longer throw than a 'proper' mtb thumbie.

As for using 9spd mechs...

ANY SHIMANO REAR MECH FROM AROUND 1987 TO around 2010 WITH A 2:1 SHIFT RATIO WILL WORK WITH 6/7/8/9 INDEXED SYSTEMS(Dura-Ace not included)

as long as you use 9spd chains for 9 (9spd chains will work for 6/7/8 too)

Front mechs are the pain as they have different reach and pull so careful matching required.

Back