Bars: Drops✅ flats risers❌
Forks: Rigid✅suspension❌
Brakes: disk ✅caliper canti❌
Tyre: >35mm+✅ <32mm❌
Single double✅ triple❌
Cassette:>36t✅ <32t❌

I think you're allowed one e❌ception🤔
More than that and you're pushing it.
I think you've nailed it, plus I would add (in comparison to a cx bike) some mounting points for luggage and bottles, lower bb and more relaxed head tube angle.

Most mountain bikes have never seen mountains, nobody ever cared if the name or term is correct or if it it should be called a hill, rock, mud or root bike. Road bikes are called racing bikes over here although 95% of them aren't used for racing. I don't get why some people are so exited about the term"gravel" 🤷‍♂️

It's marketing the Tourer.

Loads of people are going touring as a result of owning a bike that does a pretty good job of going anywhere in comfort.🥰

Why no canti brakes? Does that make it a randonneuse?

Agree with mounting points & lower bb. Also need a more relaxed seat tube.

Now here's something to think about: How much drop bar flare🤯 is allowed?
I mean I have 5 degrees both on my road bike and on my rando. Is that too much for road but not enough for gravel?
I don't think we can allow 0 degree flare drops in the gravel definition?

Though full suspension gravel bikes, heres one from google:
Niner MCR 9 RDO Full-Suspension Gravel Bike - BIKEPACKING.com

as im thinking about this more, i dont like them
but i do understand their purpose
something like this would be, with flat bars, ideal for my commute, because its railroad ballast, a regular rigid gravel bike would have a terrible time and a mountain bike is overkill for the greenway portion that comes after that
and then you kinda just have a weird geometry mountain bike thats a little better on flats? thats the issue, they blur the lines so far that i cant tell theres a line anymore, but i do see a use case where they are the ideal tool
It was existing in the 90's too..
hybrid (trekking) fully...
chrome_screenshot_1727363667260.png

Why no canti brakes? Does that make it a randonneuse?

Agree with mounting points & lower bb. Also need a more relaxed seat tube.

Now here's something to think about: How much drop bar flare🤯 is allowed?
I mean I have 5 degrees both on my road bike and on my rando. Is that too much for road but not enough for gravel?
I don't think we can allow 0 degree flare drops in the gravel definition?

I'm treating "Gravel" as a marketing term -
I think you'd struggle to find a catalogue with a bike described as Gravel, but with cantis. You fall back into the touring group. But as I said earlier, if you can check all the other boxes, you might be allowed on the group Gravel ride.🤔

Flare is a common option, but a "square" bar no one would notice.

Do we need to add a Rapha top to get us over the line?😉

It's marketing the Tourer.

Loads of people are going touring as a result of owning a bike that does a pretty good job of going anywhere in comfort.🥰

Heine calls it the allroad bike, gravel is just a little less technical and more catchy. But from my memory the term gravel existed before bigger companies jumped on the train. I don't remember if Fairlight for example called the Faran a gravel bike or what they called it.

Back