Shimano XT parts , When did they become so ugly.

Old&slow

Dirt Disciple
Hello everyone,

Just a question , and it may be just me thinking it, love to know if anyone else feels the same ?

I've an old shimano rear mech on a Diamond back that I'm in the process of bringing back to life, I was kinda thinking maybe I should just replace everything with new xt as I need most parts to be fair , but then I started looking around on the net at the equivalent modern xt parts, and MY GOD!! when the hell did shimano start producing parts and passing them out to the public that look like they've just popped out of a christmas cracker ,

honestly , I much prefer the look of the old xt parts over the modern plastic looking , complex pieces of fashionable poo. I mean , what the hell is all this clutch nonsense all about, and 10 cogs on the back , surly they must be so thin they must wear out after a couple of winter rides, and as far as the replacement parts , especially chainrings go , are they just having a total laugh.

As I've said , Love to hear your views.

A rather shocked, and for a change nearly sober Steve.

Old&slow":2u9qu4vq said:
When the hell did shimano start producing parts and passing them out to the public that look like they've just popped out of a christmas cracker
Um ... 1999?

I agree 739 I think was pretty good, then it all deteriorated around until about 2010, I like the blacked out new 2x 10 xt that is currently available

Re:

Totally agree. My favorite is definitely the M730 series. Simple, elegant, perfect function, aesthetically pleasing - I mean, what else could you ask for?

Attachments

• Rear Derailleur (800x600).jpg
    Rear Derailleur (800x600).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 684
Re: Re:

millsm":1vclt6bh said:
Totally agree. My favorite is definitely the M730 series. Simple, elegant, perfect function, aesthetically pleasing - I mean, what else could you ask for?

Its mistakenly called 'progress' and unfortunately simple, elegant etc doesnt generate income, profits or world domination

They went ugly around the time that bikes started to be described as "weapons" in the mountain bike magazines.

While I like the simple elegant style of the older mechs, I distinctly remember my M730 basically exploding while out for a long ride 20 miles from home so it wasn't all rosy.

Re:

Have you tried riding a modern 1x10 or 2x10 gear setup on a modern bike? If not, then you should.
Newer rear mechs are a mixture of form and function, the straight cable entry eliminates the usual loop of cable going into the mech and also keeps it closer to the frame so it won't snag on any "Trail Furniture".
The clutch mechanism maintains tension on the chain when using a single chainring on the front, pretty essential if you ride on very rough trails to ensure the chain stays on the chainring.

The main thing is.... It all works, extremely well, New XT brakes for example are amongst the best out there.

The new stuff is an evolution of what went before. Personally I love the M900 xtr chainset, but by the time M952 came around I really didn't like the styling, but no doubt it works as well or better than the previous incarnation.

No doubt "fashion" plays a part in it, but that's always been the case, it's just that fashions have changed over time. The Zee mech I use looks like some kind of mini Transformer and I like it :)

Re:

I'm with OP on this. M900 XTR was the last pretty groupset Shimano produced and using the best alloys too. I take the last posters point about evolution though, even though I have yet to try a top modern set up in anger.

Back