Selle Italia Flite - original 90s vs the modern one

trailwright

GT Fan
Perhaps covered in the depths of this forum before, but I'm curious to know what the differences are between the original we all love and the later re-issued version? I hesitate to call the newer one a reproduction 'cos it's still made by SI and as far as I can see looks identical...but is it?

Doesn't with the original saddle the seat curves further down so showing less of the saddle rails and the newer version the seat has been cut away more?

They are a different shape , height and logo is different. You can tell when side by side but I’d not hesitate to use one on a build since a nice Flite is getting hard to get.

I've a number of 'originals' and a 'new one'. All the originals are earlyish full leather and I also have a transalp.

The originals are surprisingly variable - some have softer foam than others, some of mine are just as firm as the new one which IMO is *quite* firm, but that may be due to less use.

The only notable difference IMO is that the rails on the new one drop further at the nose so run parallel with the top of the saddle, whereas the older ones taper away from the nose to back of the saddle.

They're all good, use whatever :)

The things I notice is the rails dip much lower on the repro ones, showing way more seatpost cradle than the og ones, also the leather is more dark grey on the new ones than dark black leather on the originals

Latest posts

Back