Rim swap advice needed

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've got a set of rim brake wheels which are starting to show signs of pad wear on the braking surface.

I'd look for a direct replacement set, but can't find any (Ritchey Zeta, yes, road rims but there isn't a chat in the road section applicable so posting here).

Front is a 20h, rear 24h.

I'm hoping to find a rim in similar style so I can use the existing blades spokes mates to wcs hubs.

Struggling to find info on the rims 8 have to then use to find alternatives.

Anyone have and ideas on how best to find suitable replacement rims?

Are these factory machine built wheels? If so then obtaining replacement rims might be tricky... You can accurately measure the braking surface thickness using an inexpensive Iwanson guage which can be purchased for £6 or so.
If the measure reveals a rim thickness of under 1mm then time to replace.

They say handbuilt on them so that's a start, but they did obviously come as a wheel set, and I'm sure built in a factory.

I'll look into the guage, need to get some new things anyway so can add that to the list.

Work or find out the spoke ERD, the virtual diameter for the spoke nipples. If you are phenomenally lucky it will be the same as something else. Browse the Spocalc lists. Otherwise you will need new spokes anyway. Low spoke count rims aren't so easy to find.

^That.

If you don't want to strip the current rims to measure the erd then if you can fairly accurately measure the current spokes, and the relevant bits of the hubs then you can likely reverse engineer the erd with spoke calculators.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark though and say that you can probably buy some rims that are acceptable in every way other than erd plus new spokes for less than the rims with the right erd.

Latest posts

Back