Riding with music

Retrobike is full of very sensible people.

Never heard about these bone conduction earphones, they seem very neat.

Originally I would ride wired earphones, with the wires going into the fanny pack I strap around my chest. I then finally decided to get wireless, which is also a bit safer as I did get tangled sometimes.

I use in ear, though not fully noise canceling. I can see all your points about road safety, and I do tend to pull out one of the phones when I'm on a very busy street, although if I am in an busy area I rarely am on the actual road because we have bicycle lanes. The bicycle lanes are shared with pedestrians, young teens on electric scooters and joggers.

As I ride a lot of gravel and fire roads I don't really bother too much about hearing stuff around me.

When I'm on the actual road, alongside the cars, it's usually on very barren stretches of country roads. I might sometimes lower the volume, but especially at night I'll spot the headlights behind me before I even hear them coming.

I only wear mine commuting. For those not familiar with bone conduction you can hear cars & even the birds just fine.
Agree - bone conduction headphones are definitely worth the extra cost 👍

Like you Imlach, I used to wear just one ear bud unless riding offroad, before getting the bone conduction 'phones.

I only wear mine commuting. For those not familiar with bone conduction you can hear cars & even the birds just fine.

Recently i have noticed a few people wearing these, can i ask how you find them comfort wise, do they create pressure over time?

...how you find them comfort wise, do they create pressure over time?

Not for me. Very comfortable even with eyewear & regular helmet. Sometimes they tingle with certain bass frequencies. I found them more comfortable than buds etc plus they are secure. Single touch to pause.

No music for riding. Natures sounds are more than enough of a soundtrack, and I need to hear what's going on around me.

Running is a different matter, and I usually have music on from the phone speakers. I ditched headphones a while back and much prefer the ambience.

I spend a lot of time on shared use paths, and people riding with headphones really grind my gears (I'm surprised so many folks above replied the do it too).

You only have two senses on a bike - sight and hearing. Smell doesn't get you far, and by the time you're touching and tasting, it's too late to do anything about it. Why would you choose to impair your hearing?

I spend a lot of time on shared use paths, and people riding with headphones really grind my gears (I'm surprised so many folks above replied the do it too).

You only have two senses on a bike - sight and hearing. Smell doesn't get you far, and by the time you're touching and tasting, it's too late to do anything about it. Why would you choose to impair your hearing?
Last incident I had with a pedestrian was a mister motivator trainer type on a shared cycle path.he had a gaggle of about forty rather sweaty Betties with him.idiot had head phones on and was barking orders to the ladies....whilst running backward...ran straight into me even though I had stopped and was shouting out to him...a few of the ladies were pointing at me to get his attention....got a nice barb wire scar from that.
Dick.

Back