retro coast to coast

adam

Dirt Disciple
Thanks for all the advice about cycling the c2c. Did it last week in 3.5 days on my lovely old c16r rigid single speed with a mate on a 2000 mount vision. I spent the first day wishing I had gears and bouncy bits but after that it was fine. How I laughed when people said the main problem was spinning out, but trying to keep up with gears on road was spinnier than I care for. I am a convert to big northern rocks! Thanks again all.

Re:

Good effort. It's a great ride.

I'll be doing it again this December. This time I'll be riding a 1940's roadster bike with a big single gear and rod brakes.
Should be interesting...

Re:

Well done ! ;)

How far is it , where does it go between ?

Mike

Re:

It's around 135 to 140 miles between either Whitehaven or Workington on the west coast of Cumbria to Tynemouth or Sunderland on the east coast.

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/the-route/

Lots of the route is on traffic free cycle routes (disused railway tracks) and quiet roads. It takes in the Lake District and the North Pennines which means a few hills but also stunning scenery.

The C2C is the classic Sustrans route which was opened 20 years ago. There's also the Hadrian's cycleway, Walney to Wear, and Reivers coast to coast cycle routes in the same region too.

Re:

Cheers Paul ;)

Sounds very tempting . I'll add that to the list of rides I must do sometime .

All the time I'm riding , I'm not buying more bikes I don't know I need :LOL:

Mike

Re:

Not sure how long it was in the end. It should have been 200 miles from St Bees to Scarborough, but we took various shortcuts and wrong turns that turned into longcuts. We followed the Wainwright walk with an MBRoutes guide.

Not sure I fancy doing it with rod brakes! I was cursing my Vs!

Did it in 1998 on my Pine Mtn (rigid) along with a bunch of pals from the UK and Italy. How me marvelled at the one guy with his brand new full susser...the rear shock failed on day 2 and he bobbed the rest of the way to Sunderland....

A great ride, one for everyone to have planned somewhere.

Did the way of the roses on my prestige comp a few weeks ago and the wife was on her 1998 gt bravado. Both were geared and it unlikely you'd climb the bigger hills without gears, especially with 30kgs in panniers. They both performed really well throughout the ride.

Carl

Back