Restoration Project on an Unidentified GT Frame

Hyperion273

Retro Newbie
Image: https://imgur.com/gallery/A8KROtC

Got this bike for free and it's been sitting at the storage room for almost 2 decades. (Probably More) Original owner couldnt be identified anymore as it was passed around since the 90s according to the last buyer. I managed to get it back to working condition but only until recently have I thought about restoring this bike.

First of all, I need help identifying the specific model name for this frame. The bike already had an xtr groupset which i couldn't identify along with its mechanical disc brakes which had red calipers. The bike managed to stay unscathed despite being coated with decades of dust and grime. Derailleurs were working perfectly after some light tuning and new cables. The disc brakes were due for replacement though.

A few months ago I replaced the shifters, brake levers, chains, pedals and installed hydraulic disc brakes. I also installed new hubs since the old one refused to function properly. The tyres are new as well.

Now i'm planning to give this bike a make-over / restoration project. Im gonna strip everything to individual parts and regrease every little thing. An

Any suggestions on how I should design this restoration project? Such as things to replace, creative ideas, and paint ideas.

Im planning to install gumwall or skinwall tyres and repaint the rims to matte black. Then paint the frame with a glossy candy color.

This is my first restoration project btw, and just recently found out how fun restoring stuff is.

Another question, can I have an estimate on the value of this bike just a curious question.

Original post is located here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vintage_bicycl ... ed_triple/

Re:

It’s a 98 / 99 7005 Gt - Avalanche or similar

It’s not an XTR groupset, it’s an XTR Rear mech with some Deore LX parts

It’s not pre 97 and it’s dubious as to whether it’s worth restoring

Re:

That sounds harsh ^ but, actually, there's a lot of truth in it. It's post-1997 and it will only be worth restoring if you either enjoy the restoration process or enjoy riding the finished article: it will not be worth it from a monetary point of view. If you decide to restore, you should consider powder coating.

Don't listen to those guys. It's a cool bike, and if you want to spend some time restoring it, go for it.
It's certainly newer than 1997, but it's a far better bike than half the crap people restore on here. For example, it appears boxxer here has restored a 94 Manitou FS. In my opinion, the biggest piece of worthless crap ever made. Apparently, some people see the value in them, despite the fact that they'll crack just by looking at them.

It’s your bike and it does not matter what year/period it is from, just enjoy the process and develop some skills.

I have restored many bikes from late 80’s to early 2000’s and have detailed them on here. Some were worth mega money, some under £100 but all gave me great satisfaction as I love to bring them back to life.

Strip everything down and access it’s condition after cleaning, polishing a degreasing.

Decide on what sort of scheme your going for and choose parts/ colours accordingly.

As for the frame and fork lowers I’d find a good local powder coater if you don’t fancy trying a re spray yourself?

krakhaus":2d40oy2c said:
Don't listen to those guys. It's a cool bike, and if you want to spend some time restoring it, go for it
Minifreak":2d40oy2c said:
It’s your bike and it does not matter what year/period it is from, just enjoy the process and develop some skills.

Sound advice right there.. :!:

Re: Re:

Hyperion273":3999tiqh said:
Yes, I was not aiming for monetary value from restoring this. Just wanted to have fun. Also please check my original reddit post it has some updates.

Here's a picture of it now. I wanna learn how to paint it on my own.

http://imgur.com/gallery/leQWw8X

Good luck, then. I didn't want to suggest that it's not worth it; just that it wouldn't be worth it if monetary gain was the objective.

I'll be interested to see how this develops.

Back