Replacement m737 cassette and suitable 9 speed chain?

stegee

Dirt Disciple
I've started to get a bit of chain slip since i replaced my shimano 9 speed chain to a sram pg870. I'm going to get another 9 speed chain
(HG93 are these any good?)
to see if it cures it, if not what suitable cassette replaces the m737, it,s going on a xtr m900 hub.

Thanks Steve.

In the last few years I've run Shimano 9 speed chains without any problems. I switched as the quality of SRAM seemed to drop in 2006-ish.

HG93 is very good (XT) but XTR is a little bit more bling (but shifts the same):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-XTR-9-Spe ... 439ab00169

But 737 is 8 speed so why not use and 8 speed chain?

SP

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers for the reply.
I preferred the 9 speed chain as it gave more range on the gears before it would rub on the front derailleur plus it run quieter as well, since trying this sram 8 speed chain I'm suffering with chain slip and it is quite noisy on the back cassette.
So i thought i'd try another 9 speed chain to see if that will cure the problem, if not its a new cassette, but which one?

stegee":32lv6q1l said:
Cheers for the reply.
I preferred the 9 speed chain as it gave more range on the gears before it would rub on the front derailleur plus it run quieter as well, since trying this sram 8 speed chain I'm suffering with chain slip and it is quite noisy on the back cassette.
So i thought i'd try another 9 speed chain to see if that will cure the problem, if not its a new cassette, but which one?

Chain slap ? to me chain slap is it hitting the chainstays ?

What do you mean?... clattering on the cassette as it goes round ?
If it is then it's probably a worn cassette .
I run KMC X8's silver-silver with my 8 speed set (M737 & M900)
they also do the same in 9 speed (X9 ;)).

If you cannot get hold of a M737 cassette then the SRAM PG850 seems to be the best alternative or the Alivio/STX one's.

You may or may not also need a thin spacer <1mm for the 11 tooth setup even if the 737 didn't seem to have any problems.

Back