Removing powder coat from suspension pivot and axle points

thatmattwooding

Dirt Disciple
I had my project bike - a 1999 Marin East Peak crossed with a 2000 Shoreline Trail - powder coated. The powder coaters did a pretty good job avoiding head tube, seat tube and BB but not the suspension bits. My fault. I wasn’t clear.

Anyway, I need to get rid of powder coat from a couple of awkward spaces. The recessed areas where the big bearings go and the shaft for the axle.

What’s the best approach?

Ta

I think a sharp blade.

Where did you get your powder done, and what was the end result like? Thinking of getting a frame done, with rear suspension so looking for options.

I had my project bike - a 1999 Marin East Peak crossed with a 2000 Shoreline Trail - powder coated. The powder coaters did a pretty good job avoiding head tube, seat tube and BB but not the suspension bits. My fault. I wasn’t clear.

Anyway, I need to get rid of powder coat from a couple of awkward spaces. The recessed areas where the big bearings go and the shaft for the axle.

What’s the best approach?

Ta
Im not sure what access is like but a file loaded up with chalk and draw file ( like holding handlebars close to the stem and moving back and forth just using the width of the file) the point you need clean works well. Sounds a good project, I hope you put up a thread it would be great to see it.

Thanks all.

I live in Hampshire (England). I got it done at a local place called DR Coatings in Romsey. Very friendly and not (as far as I can tell) expensive. No colour fades or anything. I got one colour on the front triangle and another on the swingarm.

The finish looks good to me. He said it’d be ready on the Monday morning and then delayed slightly as he spotted something he wasn’t happy about and fixed it.

They don’t do bikes often, I think, though they clearly do them every now and again as he volunteered the idea of masking the seat post, BB, etc. They are doing 100+ miles of hand rail for HS2 at the moment 😊

I am planning to do a thread. I could do a short one on the Giant NRS I did by accident along the way. It’s a slow process though.

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2119.jpeg

The above is the most nerve wracking thing I’ve ever done with a bike!

Around pivots, use a circle cutter followed by a craft knife chisel blade.
Bearing recesses, cut the edge then sand with 400 grit, be careful not to go mad as you get to metal or your bearings will rattle.

Back