Refinishing FC-M952

Dawwe

Dirt Disciple
Im just about to buy a (pretty well) used crankset FC-M952. XTR-logos are partly present, and "decent rubbing" too. Anyway, how can these be refinished in a decent way? Are the painted from factory? Powder coated? RAL nr of the gray color? Tips?

Attachments

• FC-M952 Web.jpg
    FC-M952 Web.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 13
You will struggle to get them refinished as I’ve tried on many occasions.

There’s a guy in Europe who will do then black for you , or I saw a anodised blue pair on here. Or you could polish them. Personally I’d just leave them as they are unless going on a show bike

This is why a perfect set fetch loads as they are hard to get that authentic fishing.

Ok. I'm willing to pay "a lot" for perfect or even new ones but NOT in the region of 800-900 € (with shipping taxes etc), my limit is in the 500-550€ region for "perfect" ones and that's with shipping taxes etc, but since "perfect" ones are often around 500€ + without shipping and taxes the price will be around 800€ once delivered (including all fees taxes etc) since most if not all are shipped from outside the EU (USA and Japan). I have friends painting cars professionally and I'm pretty sure they can achieve a "good enough" appearance, the right shade (RAL code) and then a matte or semi-matte clear-coat?

Well that's good enough of a refinish! I would by these but ebay is killing it with their "importcharges" which are 50% more than if I was to pay VAT and other fees when it first arrives to Sweden. RoyalMail "Signed and tracked" for less than 20£ (up to 2 kg). So instead of a grandtotal of 85£ shipping, import charges and fees it becomes just over 130£ with ebay, and I don't like ebay robbing me :D . https://www.ebay.de/itm/17570064890...WWUsIExeUpfpSHKI1h7NrcbmzJ|tkp:Bk9SR4K72rqEYg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I’ve seen a set painted, they looked alright, and a repro guy in Poland sells decals.

They are anodised but that doesn’t mean you can’t paint over them

Though polished does look really good when done well

have you looked at Cerakote? I've had a few of my old Gsxr bits and the finish is much thinner than powdercoat and extremly hardwearing. You could apply the decals as a stencil, apply the coating and pull the decals off before baking. That would look nearly OEM and be a hell of alot cheaper than anodising

have you looked at Cerakote? I've had a few of my old Gsxr bits and the finish is much thinner than powdercoat and extremly hardwearing. You could apply the decals as a stencil, apply the coating and pull the decals off before baking. That would look nearly OEM and be a hell of alot cheaper than anodising
Thanx! Do you know what shade is closest to OEM Gray-ish?

Back