Raleigh Burner, worth cleaning up?

fjw79

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I’ve recently retrieved my 80’s childhood BMX. It has seen better days, with rust spots on the chrome frame, tyres worn and the handles bar grips being well bashed. It was a well loved childhood bike 😊.

I was hoping to be able to restore it but on closer inspection was worried it might be passed being able to get it usable again.

I’ve read that Raleigh Burners can be quite sought after and it would be great if someone could continue getting joy from it. Would this be worth looking into sprucing up do you think? (I have the black plastic wheels with worn tyres, just not pictured here)

IMG_5572.jpeg

Thanks
James

The chrome will probably clean up ok with an abrasive Scrub.
Kitchen foil is popular because it silvers up the dull patches and scrapes off the rusty bloom at the same time.

Its a mini burner though, so smaller than standard burner, kids only. Kids bikes are hard to find new homes for, but if you fix it up, you shouldbe able to give it to someone who can't afford to buy a bike😃

Hi,
I’ve recently retrieved my 80’s childhood BMX. It has seen better days, with rust spots on the chrome frame, tyres worn and the handles bar grips being well bashed. It was a well loved childhood bike 😊.

I was hoping to be able to restore it but on closer inspection was worried it might be passed being able to get it usable again.

I’ve read that Raleigh Burners can be quite sought after and it would be great if someone could continue getting joy from it. Would this be worth looking into sprucing up do you think? (I have the black plastic wheels with worn tyres, just not pictured here)

View attachment 880902

Thanks
James

Yes, still sought after. Even if you decide against refurbishing it should still sell easily as a project.

Thanks loads for this. I’ve never refurbished a bike before but I do like the thought of being able to restore this to something close to its former glory.
Who knows if I’ll be able to but hopefully it’ll be fun trying!

Hi,

View attachment 880902

Thanks
James
its a mk2 mini chrome burner.citric acid dip is great for the chrome..looks all there and original prob 1984

Back