Question: Winter a good time to sell parts on Ebay?

jimr

Retro Newbie
Sorry in advance is this is off topic- please move if needed. Has anyone seen any price fluctuation between selling on Ebay during the Winter months vs. Spring and Summer?

I don't sell much in the way of cycle things on eBay, but I do sell motorbikes and Spring is the thing. Autumn is ok for winter bikes and for projects, people tend to want projects for winter.

Cycling being weather related too, that would suggest people might indeed be looking for parts during winter if they have projects on the go.

I tend to 'clear things out' in autumn too, (far too busy in the good weather to be doing that), so I guess that might result in people listing things... but the more people listing the lower the prices, right?

I have sold a lot of amps and guitars, these tend to sell all year round.

Back in the day I bought and sold camper vans, and the rule was buy in autumn, sell in spring. Good money to be made.

Perhaps a poll would be helpful?

Interesting question anyway!

now, leading up to xmas is always a good time to sell. jan & feb usually bad as everyones skint from xmas!

scant":nc3whs0x said:
now, leading up to xmas is always a good time to sell. jan & feb usually bad as everyones skint from xmas!

+1 to that. Likewise, 3 good reasons why now is a good time to be a buyer (which apply to any old small ads, not just eBay);

(1) People clearing out stuff to make way for new Christmas goodies.
(2) People flogging off stuff to raise money to pay for Christmas.
(3) Old race equipment being flogged at the end of the season in mainly summer disciplines (although conversely spring/summer seem the best bet for cyclo-cross gear).

David

Not really noticed any difference in any time / day / month you have an auction end. If your listing has a clear honest description with lots of good photos it will reach maximum potential.

Looking at it from a LBS point of view, we tend to sell more parts (& do more servicing) in Spring when everyone has wrestled their bike out of the shed & the previous years abuse needs sorting out before riding it this year.

Jan & Feb are pretty poor in shops as everyone is skint after Xmas

Overall I think most folks spend more (on bike parts) in the Spring & Summer months than the rest of the year.

This may not apply to the more dedicated cyclists who will always need parts, so some things should sell all year round.

In my 3+ years worth of trading on e bay you can see a price differance during winter but remember it works both ways , so you might buy cheaper and stock up during winter months ready for loads of profit in summer .

Back