quad chainset? ever seen one?

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
hi, a mate of mine rocked-up on this low end yet retro townsend 'tempest'.
on the frame it reads -24 sis-. i thought "thats odd,24 speed came about later than the age of this bike.21 speed tops"

so i counted the cassette rings and reached 6.ha,spoof decals or the cassette has been changed.no, it looks original! then me eyes moved to the cranks to see a 4 ring contraption. there we have it 6x4.humble pie and all that :roll: made by 'thun' never seen one personally.any one running this setup?

Attachments

• Photo-0089_e1.jpg
    Photo-0089_e1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,795
  • Photo-0088_e1.jpg
    Photo-0088_e1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,795
dawes also made one BITD. was crap of course

MTN Tamer made a quad adaptor from memory- used cassette sprockets down to 16t

Andy

I'm afraid they were all made of pig iron.

There was a chrome Emelle that looked nice at a distance, lots of shiny stuff and anodised bits, but it weighed about 40lbs.

Mountain Tamer 4th ring adapters were popular BITD. You could get as low as a 17 rear cog on one for a super low granny.

mtamer2.JPG

I remember a group test in MBUK in the early 90's ish which was testing boggo bottom end bikes - I think around the £100 mark for kids.

One had a 4-ring chainset - and the conclusion I recall was that the bike was rubbish. However, given that the number of gears you had indicated how cool you were in the playground, this bike was positively freezing as it would have had about 28 when most other things were 21.

My sisters old bike had a quad ring set up at the front. It wasn't an mtb though, was a touring bike, think it was called weekender, maybe Raleigh, not sure.

Back