Plastics top caps on forks - nightmare to get off!!

doubledeuce

Dirt Disciple
Tried a 6-pointed socket but I can feel the edges of the cap rounding, also soaked in WD40/GT85.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

The forks have barely been used but are 10 years old and have never been taken apart (RS Judy's)

Cheers!

Most 6 point sockets are chamfered around the opening the nut must seat into. Rock shox top caps have a very thin profile, maybe 3mm. The 2mm chamfer on the socket means you only engage the tips of the cap wrench flats....

Take a socket and grind down the open end till the chamfer is gone. Best be a cheap socket! That'll give you the best possible grip on the top cap, and it should come out.

I've found many times that a little gentle heat can help things along too. Run the top of the leg under hot tap water for a few minutes before you get going. Helps loosen stuff up.

Good luck!

J

First back off all pre-load.
Use a flat spanner as you can keep it pushed on and you get a better edge.
They should go with a bit of ease.

Of course it goes without saying that if it's a bolt on crown version, undo the bolts.

As above, grind a socket down. Use the 6 sided sockets that grip on the flat edges, not the ones that mainly grip the corners.

Cheer all. Turned out one side is a dummy leg which explains why it wouldn't come off :LOL: Other side I got out with grips.

TBH I shouldn't have bothered- all there literally is inside is a spring in one leg (which is industrial strength so doesn't really do anything). Heap of poo.

Latest posts

Back