Petition to Onza to remake Porcs!

Re:

If they have the original moods then they can make clear ones.
They wouldn't look good as lock-ons though.

Re:

Signed!!!

It seems odd to have 2 Onzas in existance – one making tyres and one making bikes and accessories. I've got the Canis from Onza Tyres but its just not the same as running a genuine Onza product like the Porcupines.

If you're reviving the old Onza brand with new bikes & accessories such as Ules & Porcipaws, then it goes without saying that reviving production of the 26" Porcupine tyres is vital, as they were a key product in Onza's heritage and remake them in the various colourways too. Not to reissue them would be a golden opportunity missed.

And maybe they should reissue Buzzsaws to fit 110bcd cranks too.

Oh, and they should also stick to branding with the Onza logo from the '90s too, whilst I'm at it – the one where the Zed swooshes down and outwards around the other characters. Yeah!!!

Re:

But they're rubbish.... When the re-issue black ones came out they were about £25 a pair to clear on eBay. I bought a set, which admittedly look cool but don't work very well. I took them off the Kona and they've sat in the shed ever since.

SP

Only last month I had to throw my old ones away, had them for 20 odd years and only ever used them 2 or 3 times in the wet so the tread was almost perfect but the sidewalls were rotten and crumbling away in my hands. :(

Look, if Dia-Compe can manufacture new MX1000s from scratch, a tyre mold is surely well in the realms of the doable.

Re:

But Dia-Compe make dia-compe?
Onza just had Cheng Shin make them.

It's the initial costs and the 'tyre onza' has all the wrong logos

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3d23wdjw said:

Sure, but all the new retro Dia-Compe stuff was totally tooled from scratch, all the 1980s tooling was destroyed.

I reckon it takes more to tool up to build a brake set than a tread pattern.

Re:

The initial outlay will be big but once you've invested in tooling up for a mould, you can then bang out the repro tyres.

Re: Re:

shogun":s04mwjpo said:
FluffyChicken":s04mwjpo said:

Sure, but all the new retro Dia-Compe stuff was totally tooled from scratch, all the 1980s tooling was destroyed.

I reckon it takes more to tool up to build a brake set than a tread pattern.

The point is, Dia-compe are doing it for themselves, so any loss in sales if it all goes wrong can go to marketing their own company still and or other uses for the tooling.

Onza would need a logo change (buy the license from the other Onza) and take a risk in something they then could not use if there were no sales and a large stash of tyres to sell of cheap for a 5er on Amazon (aka splashbacks ;-))
Which is when the retrobikers would pick them all up :)

Only Cheng shin would make the money.

It's a different type of risk,

but no doubt a mould is just a mould no matter what, certainly somewhat cheaper.
But then again tooling is just tooling for a company that already has the tooling. It's just the process that need altering.

Back