pace mxcd rebuild?

dezzi

Dirt Disciple
good day to ya all!

just been stripping my rc35 mxcd's to put new elastomers in and have a few questions if anyone can help?
ive noticed theres a fair bit of upward travel/slack even with the new elastomers in, for example if grab hold of the kevlar/carbon bodies of the forks and pull up on the brace/stachions, theres a good inch to come up, then when the bike is stood up, it just settles back onto the elastomers (bit of wasted space) so as i have spare elastomers, would it be wise to add an extra elastomer to fill it up and give me more travel because there is space to do so?

anyone else done this?

also how do go about refilling the oil damper?

Isn't there supposed to be an elastomer in the bottom of the fork between the bolt and the fork itself to stop topping out?

yeh there is, they dont bottom out anymore, i just think the forks could really do with having 18 elastomers instead of 16, think i might call pace today, need to order some bits anyway :D

I had the same trouble with mine. When I called Pace, they didn't have any stock of MXCD elastomers, so I ended up ordering some from America (randomly). When they turned up, they were each a little short by 2mm or so, so I lobbed an extra one in which took up the slack.

Seems to work fine now!

As for the retrofit damper, even when mine was brand new in what, 1986 or something like that, it never kept any oil in anyway, so good luck with that!!

Si

If it is an MXCD there should be 8 elastomers in each stack and one[usually red-superhard] top-out elasto under the piston within the steel stanchions-i.e. not visible when the carbons are off and only accessible with the top caps and/or damper removed.
The forks should have a bit of sag built in but it can help to 'boost' the stack with another elastomer cut in half for example. There should be no 'free play' in the forks travel but sometimes the fork can be a bit reluctant to extend fully if it needs a clean or if the brake clamps have been overtightened
:shock:
Simple way to add oil is to remove the circlip under the adjuster and pour it in-empty any old stuff first. pump the push rod to expel air and refit the adjuster-slot aligned with the pin inside. Dont forget to allow for the volume of the damper rod when the fork is fully compressed. Oil will probably leak if you don't replace the seals though!!
You could always send it to me for a full service ;)

Back