Older GT Restore/Build Project

monkey700

Retro Newbie
Let me start by saying hi. New to the forum but I have been lurking through the site for a few months now. I recently picked up what some might call a lost cause. It is a 90's GT Karakoram. $20 off of CL complete. Let me say, I am not a pro MTBer and I know most people would tell me to just get a new frame instead of dumping money into this old bucket... However I love the look and feel of old ChroMo frames. I had a Trek 930 that was stolen after I painted and upgraded it. Ever since then I have been looking for another old project to pick up. I've heard the Karakoram frame is bullet proof. This is more about the fun of doing this myself.

I put a post on another forum but then realized it might be better suited here where there are a lot of people that appreciate the older bikes.

v6TdAqD.jpg

What's done so far:

I've brought the frame home and stripped it of all the components. I then sent the frame off to be blasted and powder coated. Should be ready in a couple of days. Pics to come later tonight. This consisted of buying all the tools needed to remove the Crank, BB and Headset Cups, then doing the work. I am going to keep all of the Shimano Deore LX components for the bike and basically change everything else. Hope this still qualifies it as retro!

hIXK3XV.jpg

So that is the current state of things. Now for the fun stuff, the planned upgrades!

Here's the list:
New chain
New BB
WTB Speed V Saddle
Cane Creek 40 Series Headset
Vuelta Zerolite Wheelset
RockShox XC30TK fork
Avid BB7 Front disc set
Avid Single Digit V brake for the rear
Kool Stop Dual Compound Mountain Pads
LVWA Carbon fiber riser bar
RaceFace 70mm 6 degree stem
Maxxis High Roller II 2.3 for the front
WTB Weirwolf 2.3 for the rear

Please feel free to jump in and give me advice or suggestions. I really want to have this as a chronicle of the build from start to finish. Ultimately my goal is to get the bike just like i like it, then ride the crap out of it!

Hi and welcome,
A good solid frame as you said decent components but how come the respray? The paint looks ok on the photos

Re:

Just looking to change it up a bit and make it my own. I've had this thing in my head about the bike being red too. The photos make it look a lot better than it was in person. I actually just picked the frame up from the shop today. I'm going to post some pics up next!

I'm doing a couple of GT rebuilds, albeit slowly, and I have decided to keep the cantis where I can, and also I dont think risers will look at all right, the classic GT handlebar as fitted is fine, and if you don't like it, a set of flat bars. The paint on one of mine isnt great, but since its such a hard paint job to replicate I will just touch it up with similar colors and hope it blends in.

Re:

Always nice to see new life breathed into old bikes, but you deserve to be sent to the Tower for stripping that black light paint job.

fjpshaw":3i0esa5z said:
Always nice to see new life breathed into old bikes, but you deserve to be sent to the Tower for stripping that black light paint job.

:( In my defense, here is what I was originally inspired by:

axDjjSE.jpg

Yojimbo":3i0esa5z said:
I'm doing a couple of GT rebuilds, albeit slowly, and I have decided to keep the cantis where I can, and also I dont think risers will look at all right, the classic GT handlebar as fitted is fine, and if you don't like it, a set of flat bars. The paint on one of mine isnt great, but since its such a hard paint job to replicate I will just touch it up with similar colors and hope it blends in.

I didn't think about the bars not looking right. Good thing I got them from Amazon and can return them. I think I'll throw them on there and see how they look after I get the front fork in. If it doesn't look right I will order the flat bars from the same company. They look good and cost $10 less.

After spending some time removing the powdercoat from the brake post last night, I was able to mount the Avids and see how they look. I think the black and red will be sweet although maybe I should have kept the original paint, but alas it is too late now! Good news is I found some factory original GT All Terra decals in black on eBay and ordered them!

XsRpjgA.jpg

Re:

retroyetiguy":1kxv1idy said:
Great little project you have there, looking forward to the finished result :) .

Thanks, it's going to be a lot of fun!

Just got decals and the Cane Creek Forty headset in too! That's all the deliveries for today. I'll be putting decals on tonight and ordering Jagwires a front fork and headset spacers on Monday.

9x2uFiC.jpg

Back