Old 70s/80's Peugeot Single Speed - Front Brake Only?

Mate just get one of the Rockhoppers you looked at
I'm trying - one the guy is out of town (that's the w/the gear issues, $80.00, the other is $150.00, pictured below; original manual, new tires, says the handle-bars are that way because that's how he stores it.

Attachments

• 3e08cb47-1a2c-468b-bd94-447414b8df5d.jpg
    3e08cb47-1a2c-468b-bd94-447414b8df5d.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 8d1e1ed0-4f17-4f45-aa3f-b1f2c0252e27.jpg
    8d1e1ed0-4f17-4f45-aa3f-b1f2c0252e27.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
  • c80ce611-f0db-4878-af53-588fe8059c28.jpg
    c80ce611-f0db-4878-af53-588fe8059c28.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 4
The cheaper Rockhopper's issue is the gear selection on the thumb doesn’t seem to stay in. The owner hasn't had a chance to take it apart, might be something simple he says. When I pressed him about any other issues, he said the bike's fine, then said it has other problems, but he wasn't exact. He's dropped it to $50.00. I imagine the frame's worth that much, if it's in good shape.

Last edited:
Where are you based - US of A or Canada or elsewhere?

I'm asking because we may need to adjust our responses accordingly.

Yes, but many are priced too high, in my opinion. The old Norco's seem to be the cheapest. Then you have off-beat brands like tech (CycleTech), BRC... They can be had cheap. But Brodie's, Rocky Mountain's, Kona's... Not so cheap.

Looking at the '93 Rockhopper w/the gear thumb-shift issue this afternoon. The $150.00 '96 hasn't been ridden in a while, and seems really clean - w/original owners manual/new tires.

Yes, but many are priced too high, in my opinion. The old Norco's seem to be the cheapest. Then you have off-beat brands like tech (CycleTech), BRC... They can be had cheap. But Brodie's, Rocky Mountain's, Kona's... Not so cheap.
That's an accurate assessment of the used bike scene in Ontario. However, if you are patient and willing to wait, the primo stuff comes along at bargain prices from time to time. Gotta find someone who knows Dad's bike was cool, but doesn't want to do anything with it,or dude's angry ex when she's out for revenge

A good spot to the check is the guys who are into classic bikes like the old ccms. A lot of the time, they will wind up with retro mtbs that they don't care about. I have a connection who purchased an entire shop when it closed in the 90s, he hasn't even sorted through the stuff, just cases of nos sitting covered in dust.

A good spot to the check is the guys who are into classic bikes like the old ccms. A lot of the time, they will wind up with retro mtbs that they don't care about. I have a connection who purchased an entire shop when it closed in the 90s, he hasn't even sorted through the stuff, just cases of nos sitting covered in dust.
What do you think about the two Rockhopper's I've mentioned?

Back