Oh no . . . what have I done? Cinder Cone suggestions welcomed

moonlite

Kona Fan
You know that feeling when your project queue is full and you're not sure how to get everything done, and then you land yourself with another project?

Well, somehow that happened -- again. This frame came up locally and given how these are akin to hens' teeth in Aus in my kind of size, I sort of kind of bought it and it arrived today.

It's a 1998 Cinder Cone frame in 19", pretty good condition overall although without seat collar etc.

On the one hand, I'm really pleased with it, and on the other, it represents a bit more space taken up in the shed and triggers all those speculations about how/when to build it up. All suggestions will be considered! Overall, I don't want to follow the usual build route I take where it's meant to be low-budget, everything used or from the spares box, and ends up costing more than it's worth to finish . . .

438299631_1483587732228016_8780263551952562048_n.jpg catalogue copy.jpg

I know that feeling only too well! They are great frames, but I dont really have any good suggestions for a build, for me I just pick what i like visually, or always wanted back in the day, and then try to gather those parts. For example I always fancied the gold version of the LX groupset on a black bike, or a build with red DX brakes etc.

I know that feeling only too well! They are great frames, but I dont really have any good suggestions for a build, for me I just pick what i like visually, or always wanted back in the day, and then try to gather those parts. For example I always fancied the gold version of the LX groupset on a black bike, or a build with red DX brakes etc.
Nice ideas . . . I like the idea of red DX. I'll go through the spares pile and see what I can put together -- I think I can assemble an STX drivetrain and maybe some later Marzocchi forks. It's a pity decent P2s are getting hard to find as that would be a great combo. Wheels are the big challenge -- decent 26" rim-brake jobs are quite scarce now.

If you are going to ride it, find some nice XC717 or XM317(?) wheels.
Good qualilty and work well.

Even the new logo version will not look out of place.

Then post up your spares.

Find a nice seatpost, the frame a very deep purple from memory, not actually black like it looks in the picture.

Cranks can be a nice 4 arm setup, so easier on the rings.

I would scan what's near you and see what works well.
Obviously the red highlights, but I'm not one for the DX (BMX targeted) setup.

I take it your not going high end and trying not to buy anything.
Or do you actually mean, feck it buy buy buy ;-)

I take it your not going high end and trying not to buy anything.
Or do you actually mean, feck it buy buy buy ;-)

Haha I'll try to spec it up with what I have as far as possible -- I have some STX RC V-brakes and levers, for example, and probably cranks from the same gruppo. Stem, bars etc. should be fine -- but will need to buy, buy, buy when it comes to a 27.0 seatpost and probably wheels as well.

I have mid-90's steelie with a newish 1x10 set up. I'd recommend it to anybody.

For a simple daily driver it is a joy to ride; simple, efficient, reliable. I find myself choosing it over any other bike in the stable. The ride on a steel frame is exquisite.

It was relatively inexpensive to buy all of the drivetrain components as it's only 1 derailleur & shifter. Starting with a bare frame, it was less than $450 to build a fully XT equipped bike.

Sacrilege, yes, but very practical.

I have mid-90's steelie with a newish 1x10 set up. I'd recommend it to anybody.

For a simple daily driver it is a joy to ride; simple, efficient, reliable. I find myself choosing it over any other bike in the stable. The ride on a steel frame is exquisite.

It was relatively inexpensive to buy all of the drivetrain components as it's only 1 derailleur & shifter. Starting with a bare frame, it was less than $450 to build a fully XT equipped bike.

Sacrilege, yes, but very practical.

That's a great approach -- I've debated doing period-correct builds in the past, but really want to ride these things, so won't scruple to use modern parts to bring out the best in the frame. I think 1x10 is very much a possibility with current bits and pieces I have.

Back