New to this lark!!

wilkij1975

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All

Just thought i'd make my first post after just buying an old 1994 Lava Dome. I've been lurking and looking on here for a while now and finally took the plunge and bought a project.

As I said, I got myself a 1994 Kona Lava Dome from ebay. It was nearly complete apart from wheels (only a small part eh?) and brake levers and as far as I can tell, most if not all of it is original. It needs a good clean up and probably a re-spray but hopefully most things will be usable.

My first (of many I suspect) problem is with the stem and headset. It has the Impact Headset but the top rubber seal is spilt in 2. Can these be found anywhere or are there any others that will fit?

Second, the Velocity stem has no top cap (to cover the quill bolt). Can these be bought or alternatives used?

I'll leave it there for now and will post some pics in the near future when I've cleaned things up a little.

Thanks all for any help and i'll no doubt be back here asking more questions soon.

John

Welcome to your first project.
Why not start a project thread in the bikes area with pictures of now, then you and we can see how you progress.

I don't know the impact headsets enough but if its an o-ring then you could probably get it from a hardware shop or similar, else the internet, just get the diameter. OR run without for now. Top cap (plug) someone may have one else don't worry for now, once it's built you may find you don't like it and need a longer/shorter one.

what wheel are you planning, something period to the bike and about the same level or you going to bling and pimp it ?

hi and welcome. a wanted add on the site might help along with a picture of the stem as there were differences through the years. i never found a replacement for mine.

as for the headset, i ran mine without the plastic.

Cheers for the warm welcome.

I will start a W.I.P in the your bikes bit when I have some pics.

I think I want to keep it looking retro but with a bit of bling (maybe). I loved my old Thumbies so they're staying for sure. I was going to go for some modern rims but again try to keep them looking of the time. Need to find someone to paint it.

Back