Mr McNobby's latest project (and it's a gem!)

I lusted after this bike when I was a lad and asked Alan Shorter whether Barry Chick could make me a copy.Alan advised against it,he reckoned if I wanted to keep the weight of the bike down then chrome wasn't a good idea.He also talked of corrosion problems.
Some years later I asked Roger if he still had his chromed wonder.He hadn't,after use on the rollers severe corrosion caused by sweat meant it was only fit for the skip.Shame.

timunity":2hasdg65 said:
I lusted after this bike when I was a lad and asked Alan Shorter whether Barry Chick could make me a copy.Alan advised against it,he reckoned if I wanted to keep the weight of the bike down then chrome wasn't a good idea.He also talked of corrosion problems.
Some years later I asked Roger if he still had his chromed wonder.He hadn't,after use on the rollers severe corrosion caused by sweat meant it was only fit for the skip.Shame.

A friend of mine once had one of Alf Enger's chrome Alan Shorter frames which rotted through from the inside. Alan destroyed it immediately he saw it!

I do have a complete testing bike built by Barry,frame number 1/79 AS in original condition. It has chrome forks and rear triangle only light surface corrosion is apparent.No idea what the inside of the Columba's PL tubes are like but I ride the bike occasionally but never venture far from home.

That I takes me back a bit. I used to TT a bit back in the 70's. The forks capture the stance of the bike, Dave Rusell forks back then only curved in the last few inches while Hearne, Bird, Shorter, Aende etc had a more gradual rake.

He TT'd on more than one bike iirc, there was also a very pale blue or white bike which looked identical to his chrome one.

Would be nice to see the full machine :)

Shaun

Midlife":lacyz1in said:
That I takes me back a bit. I used to TT a bit back in the 70's. The forks capture the stance of the bike, Dave Rusell forks back then only curved in the last few inches while Hearne, Bird, Shorter, Aende etc had a more gradual rake.

He TT'd on more than one bike iirc, there was also a very pale blue or white bike which looked identical to his chrome one.

Would be nice to see the full machine :)

Shaun

You WILL see the full machine shortly Shaun. Mr McNobby has already sent me his pt 2 'draft' to translate into English. There are some stunning Nobby 'twists' to the build ... real 'gems'. Watch this space for pt 2. Pt 3 will be the finished project.

2 or 3 days for pt 2 ;-)

Latest posts

Back