More Eddy Merckx

MerckxFan

Retro Newbie
I posted a subject called Seized Hub about 1.5 months ago. It had to do with my struggle to replace a broken spoke on my rear wheel. The sprocket/freewheel was so badly seized that I turned to this site for help. I received lots of helpful suggestions. Eventually I had to destroy the original Campagnolo freewheel to get it off the threaded hub. I was able to find a replacement freewheel from an on line supplier. It arrived with a new chain and several days later my anti seizure grease arrived, which I used to install the new freewheel. I was told that people who access this site like to see pictures of bicycles so I took a few, figured out how to re size them for e-mail transmission and here are a few more of my 1986 Eddy Merckx with Campagnolo parts throughout. Pedals are Shimano spd to accommodate my cycling shoes, which I did not have in 1986. The cyclo computer and travel pump are not original. Everything else, except the chain and free wheel of course date back to 1986. I had it out last evening for a test run, about 30 KM and all is fine.

Attachments

• EddyThree.jpg
    EddyThree.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 643
  • EddyFour.jpg
    EddyFour.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 643
  • EddyFive.jpg
    EddyFive.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 643
Re:

Lovely looking frame, in a great colour. Have you owned this since 1986? Where did you buy it from?

I had a Merckx (a Corsa Extra) and it was one of my favourite bikes - so confidence inspiring on descents. Lovely bikes.

Thanks for posting,

David

Re:

History of the Eddy Merckx: I had my old CCM Silver Ghost stolen shortly after arriving in my permanent residence town in Northern Ontario Canada. I left it inside the Royal Canadian Legion building unlocked, thinking that it would be safe in a gold mining town. Wrong. I went several years without any bicycle at all. Having made a few bucks and having nominal expenses I decided to get a dream bicycle. I approached the local sports shop. The owner, whom I knew fairly well, explained that he did not carry high end bikes. In a remote town of 10,000, at a time when cycling was not popular who could blame him. He gave me contact particulars for his wholesaler and said: "Pick out what you want. i will order it. You will pay my cost and give me $75 cash for my trouble." So I picked out that beautiful blue Eddy Merckx frame and all Campagnolo Super Record parts. I relied on the wholesalers input for the original tubular tires and the handlebars. I chose the Mavic rims. When it arrived in a box about 3 weeks later i realized that I had overlooked the glue that i would need for the tubulars. So there was a delay for a few days before I tracked down a local cyclist with tubulars who gave me a tube, later replaced. My first ride was more than i had expected. That was all in the summer of 1986. Of course i have replaced the tires several times since then. I have compared my bike to modern carbon fibre frame road bikes with indexed shifting systems. I would not trade mine. I am curious to try a modern road bike with top of the line parts, but without borrowing one from one of the Tour de France riders I am not sure I will get the chance. I also do a lot of mountain biking because of the many off road options around here. The mountain bike is practical but there is still nothing like going for a good burn on the Eddy Merckx. Thanks for asking.

Welcome aboard!
Lovely Merckx and great story :)
Theres a lot of nice Merckxs with stories connected to their purchase when new, maybe its the owners or maybe its the things we will do to get a bike that nice. I too have a corsa extra and its the one that is the keeper.

Jamie

Back