Modern Mavic XC717 V's Older D521

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Now..... moving on from the thumbies v's Gripshift thread. I have a bit of a dilemma.....

I have a pair of Mavic XC717 (rim-brake) rims, alas one is 36h where I need a 32h Ceramic one instead. If I got a 32h Ceramic one it will cost a small fortune and mean I have two wheels to get built up. These rims were sorted out for the current build too, however a 32h rear hub (that I absolutely couldn't turn down) means I need a 32h rim......meh!

HOWEVER.... my existing front (retro) wheel is already laced to perfectly fine Mavic D521 Ceramic rim, so I was thinking of just getting another 32h rim for the back...cheaper rim to get hold of and only one wheel to get built, ergo cheaper overall to get sorted out.

I'm a bit of a right old lard arse at the moment of which I am very, very, very ashamed to admit..... if I went with the XC717 rims will they build into a strong wheel (standard three cross spoke pattern) for a hardtail set up, or do you feel I'd be better off sticking with D521's and sodding the extra weight?

I personally feel I'd have more peace of mind with the D521's, however the build itself is very XC oriented and am wondering how strong the wheels with the XC717's will be.

*Sighs*

I really don't mind running DH rims on an XC bike but on the other hand the XC717's would be more at home on it.

*Sighs again*

The 717 will be build into a really strong wheel, but it will more susceptable to rim damage if you're regularly hammering it on rocky downhills.
When I used to ride a hardtail I used a 517 on the front and the stronger 521 on the rear after I got got fed up of replacing dented back rims.
If you're a big lad and like your downhills then the stronger 521 will probably be your better choice, unless your really need the lighter weight of the 717.

I ran a pair of 717 hope xc dt swiss db 1.8-1.5, wheels for six years never needed truing, never had a problem with them and used them for everything from local rides to hacking around trail centres, on my hardtailonly reason I don't still have them is because I sold the bike :(

im a big lad and ran d521 ceramics on XT hubs for years on my old GT and i absolutly loved them never buckled or dented and they took some serious abuse too freeride and XC riding :D

MarkLG":22bkm1s1 said:
The 717 will be build into a really strong wheel, but it will more susceptable to rim damage if you're regularly hammering it on rocky downhills.
When I used to ride a hardtail I used a 517 on the front and the stronger 521 on the rear after I got got fed up of replacing dented back rims.
If you're a big lad and like your downhills then the stronger 521 will probably be your better choice, unless your really need the lighter weight of the 717.

Agreed, I used to ride trials and as long as you get a good wheel builder to lace up a 521 it'll be super hard core! Having said that the 717's are an awesome xc rim nice and strong, but light. I'd be inclined to go 521.... for now and keep an eye out for a ceramic or CD finish 717, for when you've lost a bit of weight by hauling round more rotational weight ;)

I think I have an old silver 521 in the garage if you need?..

You've confused me Lee . I have a slightly chipped d521 ceramic in 36 spoke if that helps , or are you after 32 ? do you have a 36 you don't need ?

Anyway http://www.cyclesurgery.com/794/Mavic-Rim-D521.html they have 36 spoke d521 listed in ceramic but call me a cynic I'm guessing they actually mean cd anodised . I've tried to order a pair twice now and got no confirmation , I might end up with 4 of the things or more than likely none :LOL:

the d521 is the same as the ex721 . I've ordered a pair of those today actually as the d521 is my preferred rim .

Back