Marin Wolf Ridge 1999, help needed! Hope C2 Manitou Xvert E

HowManyis2Many

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I currently have the bike broke down to parts. I am not in a hurry to build it. But what to find out what needs replacing, so if I come across anything on sale on internet.

If anyone has info on the model it would be appreciated.

I am having issues with the brakes, rear shock and fork.

Is the Avid wheel thing original and do they work the way its meant to? or should not bother using it?

First issue, brakes Hope C2 with sport levers i believe.
As you may have noticed from the photos the bleed nipples are sheared off! I have tried using "easy outs" WD-40 and Freeze & Release with no luck, any suggestions?

If I can get them out I'll need to know if the bleed nipples are standard parts or can I get them from hope?
I read on an other post something about special Hope rotors, I'll need to look in to that.
It was 160mm rotors on it they looked ok but can someone conform that. number 9 post mount on the front and number 3 IS on the rear. I might want 180mm rotor on the front so can I just use any adapter to space it out?
Also I seen seal kits on ebay but they are for the Pro Lever and i cant' see any for the sport? Is there only the one kit available? can I use the Pro Kit?
and the rear caliper has a lot of spacers, this is the oldest bike with disks I have worked on, so it i common for it to have so many spacers?

2nd issue, rear shock.
the shock is touching the frame. I measure the eye to eye to be 190mm (sounds a bit long for an old bike!). Can anyone tell me what the eye to eye of the original shock should be. looking on the net the orginal shock should be a "shock wave" with a piggy back I dunno what length or travel.

3rd thing, not really an issue yet anyone know if I can get o ring kits for these. Are the forks original? looking on the internet I cant see any other triple crown forks on this model. These are my first triple crowns how do i measure the travel and can the frame take it, that is if they are not orginal.

Attachments

• sam_4110.jpg
    sam_4110.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 2,031
  • sam_4112.jpg
    sam_4112.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,029
  • sam_4115.jpg
    sam_4115.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2,028
  • sam_4116.jpg
    sam_4116.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2,031
  • sam_4118.jpg
    sam_4118.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,029
  • sam_4120.jpg
    sam_4120.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,029
  • sam_4123.jpg
    sam_4123.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,029
  • sam_4125.jpg
    sam_4125.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 2,031
Re:

ooo, the rear shock is a Fox Vanilla R.

as you can see it touches the frame, But hasn't marked it?

Attachments

• sam_4133.jpg
    sam_4133.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,023
  • sam_4134.jpg
    sam_4134.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,022
Re: Marin Wolf Ridge 1999, help needed! Hope C2 Manitou Xver

Shock is correct they ran between 190 and 200 depending on the frame

The nipples are a bit of an issue, would assume they were seized and got broken through application of excessive force... Suggest seaking replacements

The front is Manitou / Hayes standard specific for the disk size so to go up a disk size (as they are C2 they would be 155, 165, 185, 205 as standard) you may need to move away from the C2 caliper...

boxxer said:
Shock is correct they ran between 190 and 200 depending on the frame

Thanks for answering.
But why is the shock touching the frame. That concerns me a bit. But at least now I know it is the right length, I really didn't fancy buying a new one.

I wanted to keep the brakes, but if I cant get the nipples out I'll have to replace them.

hope spare parts i should be able to help with i also have the hope Manitou / Hayes standard c2 caliper half that i have spare

those brakes are fixable jus need more info on whats busted etc so no need to replace jus me and u will need to swap pics and i can work out whats needed

tony

Ahem ;)

first off should be able to get you some shinier cap adjusters. I believe ive a few :LOL:

Attachments

• Hope Timeline through design changes 012 (Custom).JPG
    Hope Timeline through design changes 012 (Custom).JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,929
  • Hope Timeline through design changes 019 (Custom).JPG
    Hope Timeline through design changes 019 (Custom).JPG
    97 KB · Views: 1,928

I have just built 2 of these and shocks were 165mm and I brought new new shock bushes from TFTuned.
The c2 brakes you will struggle to get spares, so I sold mine in favour of some avid bb7 mechanicals which stopped better than a few of the newer bikes I have with hydraulics, so much so I also removed the avid juicy from my wife's and brought her mechanical avids

Take the c2 spares bit back looking at the stash in the picture lol

Re: Thanks for the reply's

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

here's some better photos of the brakes. The bleed nipples have been sheared or snapped off both calipers! I tried getting them out of one of the calipers with no luck. I tried drilling it then sticking "easy outs" into it, but it didn't budge. Could someone tell me what thread it is ,as I am thinking of trying a tap down it.
I am going to have a go at removing the pistons tomorrow. (using air line)

I didn't relies there are two types of post mount! can I get an adapter to run 180/185mm rotors for the front?

There was spacers behind the rotors, I have never seen that before and I may need to source more (ones 6mm the other is 5mm) I see hope do them in 1 and 2mm.

I got information that says the original shock is 184mm eye to eye, mines 190mm. I take it this is why the frame and shock touch. I really didn't want to buy a new shock!

Attachments

• sam_4569.jpg
    sam_4569.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,861
  • sam_4572.jpg
    sam_4572.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,862
  • sam_4576.jpg
    sam_4576.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,863
  • sam_4577.jpg
    sam_4577.jpg