Manitou 3 Dis--assembly tips needed

SouthCoastRetro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all.
Just got myself a set of those 'Wings Springs' through the post for my Manitou 3's but trying to fit them I unscrew the skewer and it comes out with no Elastomers on it, do I have to drop out the lower legs to get at the elastomers so i can replace them with springs? I'm having trouble removing the lowers as theres a ton of gunk around the seals obscuring the circlip I have to remove, the legs come out to a point but no further.

Anyone got any tips? preferably with pictures?

thank you again.

I fitted some in my Manitou Comps. I think you just remove the caps on the brace, push the forks down to expose the elastomers. Pull em out and shove the springs(greased) in and put the caps back on. Might be worth cleaning the inside of the forks out when the elastomers are out.

The elastomers are probably squished flat little discs right down at the bottom... shine a torch down and see if they are there. wire coat hangers are great for scooping them out...

MagD":1b13jfxv said:
Thinking of getting a spring kit for my forks - can you post a review?

Unless you have some way of adding rebound damping, I imagine the review will read along the lines of 'boing, boing, boing...'

Agreed, the springs with no damping will be awful.

I fitted Mach5 elastomers in my Threes and even they were a little lively but tolerable.

I'm going to try them (once I find a wire coat hanger, why are they so scarce?) but do imagine they will bounce but I shall be looking out for an elastomer stack to use in one leg to provide rebound. Till then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They won't be ridden hard anyway so are really to restore the Manitou back to operation.

Excuse my ignorance chaps, but can anyone recommend a grease to use for fitting the springs? I'm thinking lithium grease should be ok or am I wildly mis-informed?

I think Lithium Grease is ok for springs, not for elastomers though. I got some red stuff in a tube from Halfords which is pretty good.

Back