MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

As i keep stalling in my Fat Bike build and the knowledge that they knacker the bejeezus oot of me I thought I must move it forward in a compromise sort of way. I've just bought On-One Fat-NotFat 29er wheelset to get me out riding the bike and getting used to its weirder features like the 100mm BB shell and the twin rail down tube. £149 for the wheelset seemed a good deal aswell. Full fat will happen later as i nearly have all the bits i need for full wheel build. maybe I should have waited for a full fat wheelset but the 29er wheelset does include the hubs i need if I decide to convert to fat rims later.

Have you not already got the fat front wheel Velo, or did you sell that before you got the frame?

29er tyre-wise, On-one's Chunky Monkey's probably not a bad shout as they come up pretty large and are great value. Can't go wrong with Kenda Nevagals either, but make sure you get the 'stick-e' version, not the OEM tyre.

I can still go half fat as I have the front wheel and 3 tyres to choose from. Probably go Conti Mountain King tyre wise for 29er, I quite like them.

Aye, I think the Mountain King Mk2's have a pretty good rep (the Mk1's, urgh). So do you think you will half fat it, or just run 29ers front and rear?

I'm going 29er front and rear for a bit whilst I work on creating a fat rear. I have recently and belatedly got into 29er, I can see the point now but my home bodged 29er is exactly that, a bodge. 29er'ing the fat will create a more purposeful bit of modern kit. Fat biking though fun is not an all situation solution and other than the bits of trail that suit it the long climbs and fire roads just leave me knackered with the drag from the tyres.
Hopefully 29er fat should be good fun :D

Re:

Sounds like a good move forward Velo.
A half fat would be fun round your way though. Keep the rigid feel but with a bit of extra cush.

Re:

This is for all you Fatties....

(that is what you call yourselves isn't it?? ;) )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wQyYCkk8FU[/youtube]

Now got the No Fat wheelset, seatpost shim on order, a pair of 29 x 2.35 Halo Choirmasters ordered and a stack of headset spacers. Aiming to have my Fatty 29er ready for ZZ's Falkirk Trails.
Heard good things about fatbike based 29ers, very strong wheels with no lateral flex, proper point and shoot mtb'ing. Only problem is my bargain frame was 18" so with a Long seatpost this bike will really look like a girls Mixte' frame :LOL:

Back