MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

RobMac":1omcdqbp said:
keithyr":1omcdqbp said:
Well it finally arrived. Custom build 907 in black with red bling. Actually not as heavy as I thought it would be but first impressions are good. You will say if ma erse looks big on it lads :?

Shakedown trundle the morra afore holidays.

Pics to follow

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Will post pics when back from hols.

First trundle out was a hoot. It was much better rolling than I expected and I quickly got used to the handling. First impression is very favourable.

Best part of the ride was in the glen in dunfy and a women's face when I rode UP a set of steps toward her lol.

The thing just climbs over anything. Got the tyres at around 10psi just now so will be trying different pressures also.

Still meaning to get pics up.

After taking advice from clubby what are the recommendations for spare tubes for fatbikes, read a bit about folk using standard tubes??

keithyr":sbvfecxt said:
Still meaning to get pics up.

After taking advice from clubby what are the recommendations for spare tubes for fatbikes, read a bit about folk using standard tubes??

I use lightweight downhill tubes. But carry a spare because you don't want to have to patch one with all the stretching it has to do.

Re:

I'm with you TK, especially as I use a Bud (4.8") up front.
I've used Surly tubes with Stans fluid added for 18 months and never had any problems. Lots of people have been using lighter tubes though, Specialized and Schwable 2.5-3.0 seem to work well. For me though the extra weight and cost of the Surly tubes are worth it.

TK, you manage an evening ride anytime soon?

I suppose as a get you home from the woods type tube the 3.0 would be fine but on a wilderness trail or overnighter I would want something that would last - vee tubes are a bit cheaper if you can find the planetary alignment that causes them to be in stock.

There's a motorbike size that I believe also fits fine, 21" x 3.0". Comes from motorcross bikes, comparible to a proper surly toob. In motorbikes the 21" refers to the spoke bed not the bead diameter so they're bigger diameter in mtb terms than they sound.

Latest posts

Back