Lucky Find- '90 Raleigh DynaTech Mission (Update 20/3/10)

Thanks guys! :D

Iwasgoodonce- Yes I am looking for a suitable bar and stem to get that long and flat stance, I'd be interested in knowing what you have :)

Enidpeuceflange- :LOL: Well I knocked the door but it's definitely unoccupied right now. A few weeks previous I got a lovely 1920's Singer sewing machine from the same place in the same way! It seems customary around where I live to put whatever you want out within reach of everyone to sort through before taking it to the tip, which is a mighty fine system I think!

Well thanks to the excellent Dynatech appreciation and information thread in the General section I have identified this bike as a 1990 DynaTech Mission, and was indeed black and silver.

I think while the original colour scheme looked great I am still leaning towards going black and white with this one as it's a colour combo I've often admired. Simple and clean looking!

But before any of that I took some parts off the rig to clean up:

Picture248.jpg

Picture250.jpg

Picture250.jpg

Picture252.jpg

Picture251.jpg

^ The original DX chainset polished up nicely with some compound and elbow grease. THe Biopace rings shine now too and other than a bit of chain rash and a tiny bit of wear in the teeth they're tip top. Certainly good enough for this bike which will be very much a working retro ;)

Picture233.jpg

^ The rear mech needed a polish....

Picture256.jpg

^ ....But was soon looking good again. It still needs a set of jockey wheels and an adjuster. I'm thinking of getting some nice alloy ones like Bullseye's or something and an anodised bolt kit to replace all the steel ones, but I'm not sure exactly what type of finish I'm going for with this one yet.

That's all the progress for now. I have an iconic retro saddle arriving tomorrow that I got cheap. Pics tomorrow! :D

Also, my LBS has a pair of NOS Hutchinson tyres.... Can't remember the name but they're the ones with the blue band around the amber sidewall and a diamond-ish tread pattern. If you know the ones I'm on about do you think they're worth snaffling?

Thanks for looking, more tomorrow! :)

Good progress so far. If you are thinking of a respray, don't use paint stripper or get it chemically dipped. The chances are you'll destroy the bonding agent and your frame will fall apart.
You could spend ages stripping it by hand or you could take it to a bead blaster and explain the situation so they avoid directly blasting the tube joints at the lugs.

Looking forward to seeing how the rescue continues...

You can have the jockeys and adjuster off this wrecked DX mech for the cost of letter postage if you want. needs a cleaning but the jockeys seem smooth and in good order.

If interested, give me a pm. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,336
  • IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,336
Thanks guys, good call on the Nitromors/blasting, it crossed my mind also :)

RockiMtn- Thanks for the offer, that would be great! :p I'll fire you over a PM so I can send you a SAE :D

Okay I've made some more progress:

Picture286.jpg

Picture285.jpg

Picture284.jpg

I've been stripping the paint in readiness for a new colour scheme. It would be easy to douse it in Nitromors and watch it all bubble away, but as previosly mentioned with these Dyna's being bonded I can't be sure how well the chemicals will react with the joins. Likewise for shot blasting, just can't be sure it wouldn't affect the bonds so I opted for the slower, safer (and not forgetting cheaper!) option of sanding the old girl down by hand.

Picture289.jpg

Picture304.jpg

^ Hard going! I used a wire wheel in places but even this I was (probably overly) cautious with because I didn't want to get too much heat around those bonded lugs. It.s getting there though, soon it will b completely bare metal and I can begin with repainting her :)

Also, some parts started arriving. The first is the saddle:

Picture293.jpg

^ A Flite Titanium in red ;D
I had one of these on my dream bike when I was about 17 and that got stolen. It's such an iconic saddle I really wanted it on this build but thought I wouldn't be able to afford it (I am NOT supposed to be spending money on bikes right now!) but I was very happy to have won this one on Ebay for just £4.20 :D
Sorry if I snipered anyone here that was also bidding on this, I fight dirty on Ebay :roll:

Sure it needs some work but it's not ripped or anything so it's cool. I'm going to see about restoring the red leather or maybe making it black instead....... I don't know I'm going to pretty it up somehow anyway :)

I also have the seatpost I always wanted in the colour I always wanted, but I managed to miss the post on Saturday so it's going to be Wednesday before I get it now. I'll post up pics when I do though!

Hey Mate!! Good to see you back on here and getting stuck in to a seemingly unloved mega find, thats got loads potential love the decorative alloy bits (if thats what they are), and amazingly good for mojo building to attack bigger more wheeled projects :cool:

I like the standard look of this but black could work in a kinda Sci Fi stealth look. similarly a grey (like my cage, you'll see) or maybe an 80's creamy yellowy beige... :-/ :D that could be smart.

Now, I have what you need in your siggy and may donate but I'm not sure if I want to put em back on the Muddy Fox yet, so keep looking in the mean time. What else you needing to get built?

Cheers Mark! Yeah bikes are far more forgiving than cars aren't they, building a bike is a nice clean experience where everything either works or it doesn't, in stark contrast to old cars! :LOL: You're right it does do the mojo good!

Yeah I'd definitely be interested in the USE's if you don't decide to go with them on the 'Fox! Don't know if you're interested but I have an X-Lite Steve Peat signature DH bar that's brand new and never used surplus to requirements if you want to swap it for something stronger! :)

Good call on the paint scheme. Yeah I don't know weather to go with something custom for this (maybe polish up that aluminium art deco style headtube?) as these old Dyna's despite people having fond memories don't seem to be worth a lot either way, but they do look good in their original paint I must admit!

I need a load of other stuff for the build, but I don't mind waiting for most of it to turn up at the right time and price. I need a DX bottom pull front mech, thumbies, and a decent stem mainly. I always wanted a Control Tech, Salsa or Synchros Cattleprod BITD so that's what I'm keeping an eye out for.
Also getting interested in the early Magura hydraulic brakes, the fluro yellow ones which I remember being much coveted and way out of reach back then! £60 seems to be about the going rate for a usable second-hand set now which doesn't seem too bad for a high quality braking retro system so that's something I'm keeping an eye out for too :cool:

Right then, I got my seatpost, a gold USE from Ebay for a scant £10.50 :D

familydragster053.jpg

familydragster049.jpg

familydragster047.jpg

^ That's the combo I always used to want for my bike, a gold USE pin and a Flite. The USE sticker could do with being replaced on the post (anyone?) and the Flite is letting the side down with its scruffy appearance but I found the recovering saddles thread on here so I might well look into that and do it black or some custom colour if I can't restore the red colouring :)

More slow progress soon!!

Flashback!!

This takes me back to my first proper mountain bike - a 1992 Dynatech Mission - what a machine!!

The standard colour was black tubes with grey lugs/back triangle and steerer. Mine was a 19" frame with the 'Dyna-bend' top tube, which drooped in the middle

I'm amazed the Rigida rims are still on it as i wore mine out in less than 6 months

Awesome bike, but couldn't take my weight and riding style and suffered a major stress fracture near the back drop out

I went through a couple of titanium bonded frames and then Raleigh done me a deal on the later welded frame which was bullet proof and still going strong 15 years later

Do Raleigh still make decent bikes?

Back