Lucky Find- '90 Raleigh DynaTech Mission (Update 20/3/10)

street

Retro Guru
I was a bit surprised to see this poking out from under a pile of old wood and garage waste from a student house on my road that's being renovated:

Picture214.jpg

I recognised the head tube straight away! Looks like it's spent many years locked up outside un-used.

Picture225.jpg

Picture226.jpg

Picture223.jpg

I was hoping it was a titanium model but alas she's steel. No matter though really I like a nice steel frame :)

Picture216.jpg

Picture217.jpg

It has Shimano DX which I've always been a fan of. The long cage rear mech is in good condition apart from knackered jockey wheels and the biopace DX chainset is in good order too dispite both having a thoroughly knackered chain running on them. Not too much wear on the teeth though so it's all going to be refurbished and re-used.

Picture218.jpg

Picture231.jpg

Picture220.jpg

The wheels were seized solid after what looks like years of being locked to a fence in the garden, but once I gave the wheels some encouragement the DX hubs cracked free and turn smoothly. I'll service them with new bearings though obviously.
The rims are Rigida Laser 400's with stainless spokes and they run true front and back.

So all in all I'm pretty pleased with it!!

Does anyone have any information it them? I can't find that much on line, only about the titanium range really. What colour was it supposed to be? The lugs and rear triangle I think are in the original shade of siilver but the main tubes have been painted red with a can. Looks like it might have been black underneath that though maybe?

My plans are to rig it out with some period parts (probably keep it all DX) and give it a paint job. Tentatively thinking black lugs and rear triangle with white main tubes as I seem to recall these coming out in that scheme? Need to find some suitable handlebars and stem and also a seatpost and seat too of course. It's a budget build so it's going to be whatever I can get for cheap!
Anyway, will keep you posted! :) :D

Good find and well worthy of being rescued. I reckon you'll need a new chain too. If you want to stay period correct (that is, very long and flat) with the stem I may have one somewhere.

Great find indeed. With those lugs I reckon you're about right with the 1990 or 1991 date. In 1992 I think the lugs were changed and the decorative 'art-deco' style design was replaced with more simple and less visually interesting bulged lugs.

Have a look at the frame number. I've been told the if it starts with an A, then it's a 1990 frame. B = 1991 and C = 1992.
I believe that 1992 was the first year that titanium main tubes were used, but whatever the material, the bonded framesets tend to be rather nice.

I recently started a Dyna Tech thread here with the specific intention of finding more information on this Raleigh Special Products Division brand as there isn't much about on the internet yet... :)

Latest posts

Back