Is it worth the effort? To me of course it is!

Two coats of clear lacquer today then a week to harden before I start the rebuild.

Attachments

• C0DF5F6F-CC2D-42DE-B750-23F36C13B7D9.jpeg
    C0DF5F6F-CC2D-42DE-B750-23F36C13B7D9.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 696
Yes it really was worth all the effort!!!

A great project, original spec as per the catalogue, frame and forks stripped then resprayed, new decals, tyres, bar tape, brake pads and bearings all other parts refurbished and restored to pristine condition right down to reflectors.

Test ridden and a really sweet little bike that was as they say......... 'CHEAP AS CHIPS'

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 628
That looks fantastic mate, job very well done.
Just in time for a summer of fine weather riding (I hope ) ;)
Wishing you many happy miles on it :)

Jamie

Cracking job Lacky, now get it in July's rBotm sharpish....

**EDIT** Doh! :facepalm: you already have.. :D

That’s turned out nice again. Lovely job. They’re all worth it. After all, we’d only spend our time drinking or gambling or.......

Full ride report to finish?

Thanks to Jamie, Peachy and THM for your kind comments, and to everybody else who has contributed to this build thread. I've already ridden a 'round the block' test ride. Now for something a little more substantial. Rides sweet and true.

Photo below of bike packed and ready for the off!

A really super little bike now back in mint condition and ready for the next 31years +

How many of todays modern bikes will stand this test of time?

A full ride report will follow and finally end this long build thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 564
I set off on my 20mile test ride along a Sefton Coastal Path. It was so good to see so many families out with young children enjoying the fresh air and great outdoors. The path crosses the River Alt near to Hightown as it makes its way down to the sea. The cycle path is very popular, but overgrown in places making passing particularly difficult. In one spot a child about seven years old came hurtling along with parents in tow, first he went to his left ‘good lad’ I thought, but then shot to his right and straight at me. Fortunately I was travelling no more than walking pace, but had to change course right into a clump of nettles. The bike is fine but my bare legs are still stinging.. his parent thanked me for stopping, saying he still had not got used to using his brakes.....0h well we all had to learn at sometime. No damage done as yet. It was a little later that a car in similar circumstances came straight at me.....He was anxious and in a hurry to get to a nearby local National Trust reserve, he was overtaking stationary cars on his side, but came straight at me on my side leaving me no option but to ride into a huge pothole that had a couple of inches drop around the edges. No problem for an off road rider, but not much fun for a skinny tyres and rim rider like me. . I may have to get the wheel straightened and trimmed, it also disturbed the stand so a minor adjustment needed there as well.
This final test ride report was a little more adventurous than I really would have liked, but the bike travels great, no problems in that area. It is comfortable and smooth to ride. Maybe next ride I’ll avoid a weekend and choose a day not so bright and sunny.
Well that’s it for now so I’ll finish the thread with a few photos from the ride, and a thank you to all for travelling this thread with me. Safe cycling to all....Cheers!

Attachments

• 0E1A3437-EDEC-4158-8ED0-509F953BA7FF.jpeg
    0E1A3437-EDEC-4158-8ED0-509F953BA7FF.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 556
  • 6A837246-2F8B-494D-A7FB-4B960CE53970.jpeg
    6A837246-2F8B-494D-A7FB-4B960CE53970.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 556
  • 3CB950EF-6AD7-4AF8-A396-8007EACD2A30.jpeg
    3CB950EF-6AD7-4AF8-A396-8007EACD2A30.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 556
Re:

It really looks superb and sounds like your enjoying it.
A credit to you bringing it back to such great condition.

Jamie

Glorious! Front and rear spoke reflectors at different diameters is making me twitch though. :?

The History Man":5kcdzxyw said:
Glorious! Front and rear spoke reflectors at different diameters is making me twitch though. :?

Good Point... Maybe I'll take the reflectors off the wheels altogether and put them on the handlebars pointing left or right for traffic or runaway children or maybe just point them at me saying here I am.... I'm the target.

By the way this bike stands up without the sausage, pump or red arrow. ref your Gran Sport thread. :)

Back