Is it worth the effort? To me of course it is!

Thanks to my good friend Frank for his expertise and labour and to Peachy, Jamie and Allenh
for all their encouragement. I think the tricky bit for me will be avoiding runs at the clear lacquer stage and correctly positioning the decals..
Incidentally not everyone has bike bits hanging on the washing line, my wife will be claiming that there is no room for the clothes next. Already been kicked out of the conservatory, converted the summerhouse into a spray booth and the garage into a bike workshop.

It is looking good thanks to you taking your time and doing it properly so I am positive once it's finished it will look great.
I find the decals are stressful as it's often hard to line them up just right. I mark centre lines in pencil on the decal and the frame just to be sure.

Jamie

Jamiedyer":36rh5bxh said:
It is looking good thanks to you taking your time and doing it properly so I am positive once it's finished it will look great.
I find the decals are stressful as it's often hard to line them up just right. I mark centre lines in pencil on the decal and the frame just to be sure.

Jamie

That’s good advice Jamie, I'll give it a go after the first lacquer coat. The decals cost more than the bike, so don’t want any wonky fitting. Any news on that banner yet?

Lackluster":1xdut24b said:
not everyone has bike bits hanging on the washing line
Oops, don't they? No wonder I get shouted at

Lackluster":1xdut24b said:
Already been kicked out of the conservatory, converted the summerhouse into a spray booth and the garage into a bike workshop.
Our lass is fine with most of that (through gritted teeth) but she does get a little agitated at me degreasing things in the sink. Anyway keep up the good work and you'll soon be able to pedal around with some "all my own work" satisfaction.

allenh":3jojrg6f said:
Lackluster":3jojrg6f said:
not everyone has bike bits hanging on the washing line
Oops, don't they? No wonder I get shouted at

Lackluster":3jojrg6f said:
Already been kicked out of the conservatory, converted the summerhouse into a spray booth and the garage into a bike workshop.
Our lass is fine with most of that (through gritted teeth) but she does get a little agitated at me degreasing things in the sink. Anyway keep up the good work and you'll soon be able to pedal around with some "all my own work" satisfaction.

Thanks for the above Allen . Not sure I dare try degreasing in the sink. I think that would be the last straw, but who knows maybe when the dust has settled a bit. I am looking forward to the rebuild and letting my grandsons try it out, but this will be a slowly, slowly from here on as I also have Raleigh Competition alias ‘Mystery’ frame taking priority.

Decals on and nicely centred. Just the two coats of clear lacquer and a full respray of the pannier rack before the rebuild begins.

Attachments

• 32E595BA-6816-4282-BA60-1BD556B0AFE5.jpeg
    32E595BA-6816-4282-BA60-1BD556B0AFE5.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 753
  • 7B8A1E99-1D6C-4CAF-A490-CBBBE974DC55.jpeg
    7B8A1E99-1D6C-4CAF-A490-CBBBE974DC55.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 748
Re:

Looks great, you have certainly done a brilliant job .
Look forward to seeing it completed. Also bet you’re itching to get a few miles on it too.

Jamie

Cracking work...

Jamiedyer":21k0bb6p said:
Looks great, you have certainly done a brilliant job .
Look forward to seeing it completed. Also bet you’re itching to get a few miles on it too.

Jamie

Maybe a months delay completing this because of other commitments, but will get the grandchildren involved in the rebuild, and of course they get the promise of the first ride.

PeachyPM":21k0bb6p said:
Cracking work...

Thanks to you both.

Back