Installing a modern Shimano front mech

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I'm swapping my winter commuter/gravel bike components from my old Elephant NFE to a 2024 Kona Rove DL frame (I stopped liking the low trail geometry on the Elephant). The old 105 front mech I used on the NFE wouldn't fit on the Rove so I found a virtually new braze on version on Craigslist cheap and paired it with an old 31.8 clamp from my parts bins. I didn't appreciate that the front derailleur was redesigned after my 10 speed Ultegra group set was designed.

It's interesting. I have it functioning (I'm running it friction), but just learned about the mech stabilization bolt so I will add some frame protection in this area with some two sided tape before I finish it off. I also learned through a deeper dive on the art of setting these up that I probably have the cable running incorrectly through the top cap so I will sort that out too. I hope that these fixes help smooth out the shifting because its much notchier than the old one was and I can't see why it shouldn't run smooth as well with the friction shifter.

Back