In your opinion what is the deal with those Marin dropouts? They don't seem original

tweedi

Dirt Disciple
Looking at this Marin, judging by the plating and the XT components, I think this may be a 1993 Team Marin.

However I don't recognise the dropout at the junction with the stays. What do you think, is this original? Is it a thing to replace dropouts?

Thanks!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I don’t think it’s a Team of any year. They had cable stops on the head tube. As you say the dropouts don’t look Marin - of any model. Sure dropouts could be changed by a frame builder at great expense but doubt that has happened. Difficult to tell but the seat/chain stays don’t look like afterburners to me. Then there’s the ‘titanium’ finish. If it was ever nickel plated it’s maybe been roughed up. So in my guess, others know much more, it’s not a Team and probably not a Marin.

No it just isn't. I'd hazard a guess a previous owner wished it was a Marin & thought it was pretty close to badge it up as one & dream.
Stays aren't round enough or fat enough. Dropouts obv not signature cast Marin ones, cable routing/stops not right either.

The cheapest bikes like bobcats etc, did have pressed dropouts , rather than cast, but not that shape.

Ask the seller for the frame number....my foreign language skills are sadly not up to it.

Back