Identify my fat chance mountain bike, and it’s value

Respo4

Retro Newbie
The the serial number on my frame has no letters in it. ( 85554 )Does anyone have an idea of what I own? I’m very unfamiliar with fat chance mountain bikes .thanks Rob

Attachments

• IMG_6452.jpeg
    IMG_6452.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6463.jpeg
    IMG_6463.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6466.jpeg
    IMG_6466.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6465.jpeg
    IMG_6465.jpeg
    597 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6449.jpeg
    IMG_6449.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6445.jpeg
    IMG_6445.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 46
Hi Rob, very nice frame this! Serial no and cable routing indicate it´s from 1985. Are the dropouts stamped "Suntour"? Not sure if the fork is original, I´d expect double eyelets in these years and it looks a bit spindly. Model name would be just "Fat Chance".

Most components except shifters, headset and seat collar (maybe seatpost) however are newer. Value I´d say around 500 buckaroos for the frameset, if the fork was original. Not much more for the complete bike as the components are not really PC. If you want to sell it, it would make more sense to split. If the bike is already in Europe (yes the UK is part of it despite recent efforts) it could be worth a bit more (import hassle already done).

Calling @M-Power and other Fat experts for confirmation, this is all from memory!

Last edited:
Hi Rob, very nice frame this! Serial no and cable routing indicate it´s from 1985. Are the dropouts stamped "Suntour"? Not sure if the fork is original, I´d expect double eyelets in these years and it looks a bit spindly. Model name would be just "Fat Chance".

Most components except shifters, headset and seat collar (maybe seatpost) however are newer. Value I´d say around 500 buckaroos for the frameset, if the fork was original. Not much more for the complete bike as the components are not really PC. If you want to sell it, it would make more sense to split. If the bike is already in Europe (yes the UK is part of it despite recent efforts) it could be worth a bit more (import hassle already done).

Calling @M-Power and other Fat experts for confirmation, this is all from memory!
Yep, agree with the Doc. Its an 85 build. Hyperlite bars are a nice more
recent upgrade. Its a rare larger frame size and should ride very nicely/comfortable but its not an aggressive race geometry.. Looks like a Kicker and has its correct original headset. These earlier frames used thicker walled tubing so are less prone to rust through than the later versions. I had an 82 and the frame was in incredible shape and beautifully fillet brazed. Pricing is subjective and you may get more in Germany ( 1/3 of FATs were sold here ) or on US FB groups where they really know and appreciate FATS.

GLWTS or ride and enjoy in good health 🤗

MP

IMG_9623.jpeg

Yep, agree with the Doc. Its an 85 build. Hyperlite bars are a nice more
recent upgrade. Its a rare larger frame size and should ride very nicely/comfortable but its not an aggressive race geometry.. Looks like a Kicker and has its correct original headset. These earlier frames used thicker walled tubing so are less prone to rust through than the later versions. I had an 82 and the frame was in incredible shape and beautifully fillet brazed. Pricing is subjective and you may get more in Germany ( 1/3 of FATs were sold here ) or on US FB groups where they really know and appreciate FATS.

GLWTS or ride and enjoy in good health 🤗

MP

View attachment 870752
Ah now there´s the skinny fork with the single eyelet! Should have known about the Kicker naming, as I recently had the discussion with a friend about Kicker vs Fat Chance. Any pointers on the differences between them? We came to the conclusion it´s the same bike, first named Kicker and later just Fat Chance, inconsequential brochures due to "shop smoke". Does that sound about right?

Ah now there´s the skinny fork with the single eyelet! Should have known about the Kicker naming, as I recently had the discussion with a friend about Kicker vs Fat Chance. Any pointers on the differences between them? We came to the conclusion it´s the same bike, first named Kicker and later just Fat Chance, inconsequential brochures due to "shop smoke". Does that sound about right?
Maaan dont get me into the model naming semantics of mid 80s FATs ! Too much shop smoke and artisan genius in full flow to be comprehended by us mere cyclists. Personally I think they cracked making the best bikes on the planet in 1989 with the Team Comp. The rest is history 😋

Last edited:
Back