I blogged about my bike "A legend is re-born..."

JeffGothro

Dirt Disciple
I dont blog much, if at all, I guess I got a wild hair up my arse...lolz

This was originally posted on a non-bike-related site in a blog.

I've been a bicycle mechanic for a number of years, just over 37 years to be exact, and I've had my fare share of lower budgeted entry level bicycles, subsequently, I've also had the priveldge of owning a few extrordinary race type bicycles as well. More to the point, my favorite bike was handmade in Longmont, Colorado, it was a yellow 1993 fillet brazed G.T. Psyclone mountain bike I owned roughly 18 years ago. Long story short, I built this bike up with the best parts money could buy at the time, the total came out to 3,500.00$ give or take a few. Well, less than a month later, there was an accedent and the frame/fork were damaged beyond repair - there went my favorite bicycle.

About 6-8 months ago however I tracked down another Psyclone, a 1994, and what was great about this situation was, it happened almost by accident, and it happened locally. I went into a local bike shop I almost never go into and started talking to the owner, turns out he had a Psyclone collecting dust he wanted gone...I think you know what happened next (yeah, I made arrangments to buy it).

What your seeing is a pre-build photo. So far, I have the parts kit for it (I recently bought a carbon fiber Gary Fisher for extra parts). Included are a mix of Shimano XTR (Shimano's flag-ship race gruppo), Race Face Turbine LP crankset, Cane Creek hubs and rims, and other assorted misc parts. However, before the build I'm planning on having the frame powder coated - and I want it powder coated in a chrome type paint. Untill the time arives to paint it, I have taken the liberty of getting started building the front end and cockpit. Up front, I've added a titanium stem, and titanium handlebar, Avid Speed Dial Ultimates (possibly the most expensive brake leavers you can buy), I was also fortunate enough to score on a Chris King headset from the Gary Fisher buy to put on the Psyclone. And finally, I bought a new fork (pictured), its a single crown aluminum eXotic fork.

This is only the beginning, I have alot of plans for this frame I haven't even mentioned, I want to use ALOT of titanium on this one, the bottom bracket, the cassette, skewers, seatpost, and damn near anywhere else I can shave a few ounces. When its finally complete, not only is going to turn heads, it will be extremely fast - and pretty much extrordinary in every way.

-Jeff

P.S. I hadn't had a chance to cut the steer-tube yet, so there is this tube protruding six inches above being where it doesnt belong kinda threw off the whole picture (if you know what I mean), I photoshopped it out of the photo, see if you can spot where I touched up the photo. (You bicycle folks who know what a "steer-tube" is should be easy to spot.)

94PsyclonebuildstartphotoBG4.jpg

Back