Help with Identification of bike

John1

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,
I was hoping for some info on a bike I have in the loft gathering dust and it seems a shame to leave there without getting to know what it is. I have pictures of it which I am about to download ASAP. the thing is I bought it off ebay about a year ago stating that it was a R J Quinn racing bike but I think it is something else. it is a very nice bike but it has been messed about abit with the pump pegs being sawn off and the pegs for the gear shifters also being filed off in the process of It being resprayed. It has nervex lugs which i think are Sport or the touring type by what I have found out. I think it is a 22-23 inch frame it does have a number on the underside of the BB which I think is Q59 or 059 which makes me think it is a Harry Quinn bike not R J. It has many new parts weimann 730 brakes and weimann brake levels, suntour friction shifters and the rest is shimano. It also has a grease nibble in the BB. any help or advice would be grateful
Yours John

Attachments

• P3140142.JPG
    P3140142.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 820
  • P3140146.JPG
    P3140146.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 820
  • P3140147.JPG
    P3140147.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 820
  • P3140143.JPG
    P3140143.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 820
Correct about the Nervex lugs and built for centre pull brakes (bridge on seat stays.

Reynolds sticker is wrong for frame - frame is earlier than sticker. Grease nipple in the BB probably means 1950s.

It has been modified over time

Other than that...

Rk.

I doubt it ever had gear lever bosses being that old and those gear levers are too far up the down tube (if that makes sense). Seems a bit strange not to use a rear mech that screws into the rear dropout as well. Is the gear hanger non-threaded?

Looks a nice frame anyway - have you got some pictures of the complete bike?

Mark.

Looks 1960's to me, the sort of frame supplied to a retailer for "own name". Product of a quantity producer, like Falcon, Viking or ??
A small builder would have filed the lugs a little, and finished the rear end spigots. These bits of finishing make no difference to the feel on the road.

Ref to Bike

I have looked all over the bike and as far as I can tell the only frame no I can find is 059 or Q59 which is under the bottom bracket.
I have also had a look at where the suntour levers are situated and they are too high compared to all my other racers, but where they should be there is what I would call a raised or protuding bit each side of the frame which look like they are brazed on.
Also with ref to the rear derailleur where it is attached via a bracket. the frame does have a thread under the bracket for a screw on derailleur which can be seen in one of the photos.
I have some more photos to put in tomorrow of the whole frame and of the BB to show the Q grease nipple.
I would also like to thank everyone who has looked at the pictures but also the input they have given so far.
yours John

It doesn't look a million miles from a Viking Severn Valley, although the treatment of the wrapover at the seat cluster is different. Lugs and the position of the (removed) pump pegs and rear brake cable stop are about right...

Might be worth getting in touch with the owner of this one http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/avtviking.html through classic Lightweights and seeing if he can confirm / discount from enquiries.

new photos of bike

Hi, Here are some more photos of the bike

Attachments

• P3140145.JPG
    P3140145.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 697
  • P3160158.JPG
    P3160158.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 697
  • P3160157.JPG
    P3160157.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 697
  • P3160162.JPG
    P3160162.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 697
A little off topic I know but I'm interested in the cable routing for the front derailleur, there's a cable stop on the down tube, is there one on the seat tube or did the cable just run up to the derailleur from the guide? Is there a cable stop on the from derailleur?
On the identification, the nervex lugs look exactly the same as on my "Roy Lomas" I too have no exact date but have narrowed it down to 1969-1974 based on the lugs and drop outs.
I'll get around to posting pictures soon.

Back