Help me get this bolt out of my Klein!

TheRedMantra

Dirt Disciple
So I bought a bunch of cool anodized bolts to replace all the steel ones on my '90 attitude. They came in the mail today and I started installing them. I got to the last bottle bolt on the bottom of the down tube, turned my key, and the bolt started to spin. It kept spinning. It wont come out! I have a feeling that the threads in the frame are spinning and stuck to the bolt. It looks really weird to have all machined anodized alloy screws and one painted steel one. I really don't want to damage this frame since I want to be able to ride it for years to come. Anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking I may be able to drill through the bolt and just glue the alloy one in. I won't be using the bolt, its just for show. Has this happened to anyone else?

ameybrook":10rpj8dp said:
alloy bolts are a lightning rod for trouble. Happened to me, and I drilled mine.
I've never had an issue with an alloy bolt. In fact, thats why I like them. They're lighter and look nicer. I love Kronos bolts especially, they look incredible and weigh .5g a piece. I guess I'll try drilling it tomorrow.

it's more likely that the riveted-in threaded nut spins in the frame which is not uncommon. you should be able to see if that's the case when you turn the bolt. you can only see the thin upper part of the nut which looks like a washer below the head of the bolt.
try the tips on the park tool web site, sometimes it works

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=147

assuming you are swapping out hte bolts on your new 1990 Attitude be careful to not loose the original bolts, would be a pitty...

Carsten

I had that sinking feeling on the 'dale recently. The LBS drilled the bolt out and replaced the rivet in the frame but unfortunately couldn't get the rivet out of the upper wishbone of the rear stay. I had a frustrating week riding with a rattle decided whose advice to follow from the forum before pumping the tube full of neutral sealant. Bit of weight gain but at least no rattle! The shop charged a tenner for the work (but were red-faced about the mistake so it could have been more)

As I recall, your 90 attitude is an alum frame with steel threaded inserts in them. Are you sure the insert is not spinning in the frame? If so, you might have to replace the insert. Or if you are not using that bolt, just loctite it in place.

I have to replace inserts on occasion because the bolt has siezed in the insert, and the aluminum has corroded next to the knurls at the insert.

Latest posts

Back