Help dating a Kuwahara?

zimbob

Old School Hero
I've just picked up this Kuwahara Savage :

KuwaharSavage120212001.jpg

Not a brand I know much about at all, apart from the E.T. BMX thing, can anyone give me an idea of age at all for this one?

Graphics look rather eighties I thought :LOL:

KuwaharSavage120212004.jpg

KuwaharSavage120212002.jpg

Cheers :)

Kuwahara dating

Hi. I've owned over 15 Kuwahara mtbs over the years, and there is precious little on them available except German-market models of the early nineties (which differ markedly from Canadian market models of the same era).

Your Savage is likely from 1990. For the 1989 model year Kuwahara started putting it's brand name on the top-tube (1988 and earlier was on the down-tube). However the 1989 Savage was an 18 speed, and had a different model decal. Unless I'm mistaken, your Savage is a 21 speed, equipped with Shimano's 300gs group set, with ST-M020 push-push trigger shifters.

The best way to date your bike is from looking at the Shimano date codes on the various components. I wouldn't be surprised if in doing so you saw a lot of late N or early O date codes.

Hi zimbob,

I know this is old but, ...

From the decals your Eclipse is late 1988 or early 1989, made in Taiwan.

The frame number for this period of bike is usually under the down tube toward the BB.

It should have the format: Kyymmxxxx. yy is two digits for the year and mm is two digits for the month of manufacture of the frame.

Back