Headset recommendation

jgjones095

Old School Hero
Hi all

Been out of the biking world for too long.

Looking for recommendations on headsets for 1 1/8 threadless mid/late 90s bike.

Not wanting a Chris king or anything.
Ideally with sealed bearings, not balls in cages.

Cheers

Re:

FSA of the era were good, I think orbit was the model. Not sure how far back hope headsets go. Onza mongo?

Beware the early Hope headsets. Excellent though they are the bearings were a special size & unobtainable (although I'll be happy to be told otherwise)

Re:

Any recommendations on which FSA models to look out for?
I also recall Cane Creak from that era but not which models.

What ones are available new in today’s biking world?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The Onza Mongo was a brave attempt to get beyond the endlessly-coming-loose headsets of the 1990s and was utter c++p. Notionally good, with roller bearings offering greater contact area (a very good thing) and tapered bearings (offering stability), it worked extraordinarily poorly, due to poor geometry (allowing rocking in the steerer) and was made from cheese (very soft alloy).

Of viable options the Mavic taper roller headsets were excellent - although with bonkers stack height. But yes, FSA (orbit models) were simple, boring....and worked.

Was going to avoid eBay special!

Cheers for the wiggle link, is there an fsa with sealed bearing top and bottom though?

Back