GT Timberline on eBay - wtf is going on with headset?

Black_puma

GT Fan
As per title
GT Timberline on eBay
Pay attention to the bottom half of the headset....wtf is going on here?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Top half isn't pressed in either. I'm sure someone will notice as the front end will rattle about when you move the bike.

That is frankly quite scary!
There doesn't seem to be a crown race fitted either....

I think it's got a crown race, just loosely draped over the seat, not fitted.🤯
otherwise the cup would sit right on the fork.
Hey, at least he hasn't used the wrong tools!🤣

Top half isn't pressed in either. I'm sure someone will notice as the front end will rattle about when you move the bike.
Yeah that hasn't gone unnoticed either. It is too expensive for what it is, unfortunately.
I think it's got a crown race, just loosely draped over the seat, not fitted.🤯
otherwise the cup would sit right on the fork.
Hey, at least he hasn't used the wrong tools!🤣
He hasn't used ANY tools for this job by the looks of it!🤣

I wonder if he's tried to fit a 1 1/8 headset in to a 1in fit head tube.... I know I did some daft things in the early days of rebuilds, that make be cringe a bit now...

I wonder if he's tried to fit a 1 1/8 headset in to a 1in fit head tube.... I know I did some daft things in the early days of rebuilds, that make be cringe a bit now...
No, the Timberline would have been 1 1/8" headset from 1992 onwards at least, I recently worked on a 1991 Timberline which did have a 1" headset. This guy just didn't use any tools to try and press the headset cups in correctly, which is tricky to do without the proper tools, I speak from experience.😉
I also owned 2 GT Timberlines from 1992 which did have the bigger size headtubes.

Back