GT Pantera or something else?

fullofpanache

Retro Newbie
https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pli/gt ... 309f8a776f

Thinking of buying this 93 Pantera for my next project, currently sporting some dodgy forks but the groupset is all exage 500/LX, it also has an exage rear pull brake. also available are the original gt stem and bars along with the original manitou forks but they require a service kit.

I think i can get it with the additional parts for $200 Australian. If the frames in good condition do you think thats a good price?

im wanting to strip the frame and put a clear coat on it and building it up as an urban commuter. i already have mountain and road bikes.

i like the frame as im a big Zaskar fan and its very similar looking, even has the flat GT oval on the back of the crossbar.

on the negative side, i dont think from the pictures it has a replaceable hanger. Any other suggestions or a more worthwhile project?

I had the same one in purple.

Rode it to Brighton to watch the 1994 TdF come through.

Then it got nicked :(

Re:

Sorry to hear it got nicked, I've had a couple of bikes stolen over the years, although none that I loved that much.

So you think it's still worth $200 or is that a bit much?

Pretty sure pantera's never came with manitou's or any other old GT... still for $200AU could be fine, usually in OZ soemone has some old tat they want $$$$$$ for, nothing decent. So so long as it's not rooted.

Re:

It's your $200 but I've paid a lot less money for better bikes.

Depends how much you want it, of course. :D

Re:

Struggling to find desirable projects at the moment. I've been searching gumtree for the last 6 months waiting for something to tempt me and this is the closest I've got. Ideally it would be a zaskar but their prices are at least $600+ over here.

I have my titanium Raleigh m-trax in the uk but it will be a while before I can get it over to work on.

Re:

Open a thread in the 'Wanted' and 'Australian' sections. There may be a RB member near you who has something suitable for sale.

Keep an eye on Ebay too - I sold a '97 Kona AA frame and a '96 Marin Bear Valley frame recently, both for about $35.

Back