GT LTS1

OllieJones

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Right, it's about time I did a build thread. Be gentle with me, it's my first one.

I've had a few retro hardtails over the years, they started of as old bikes to commute on so I don't trash my modern bikes. As each frame has come and gone the spec and finishing kit has changed to suit. In 2011 I had an bad injury which meant I had to have a few months of the DH bike and the accident had written off my road bike at the time. Retro XC was the only option so the old tatty bike got a little nicer.
In the back of my mind I've always wanted an LTS but have not wanted to get involved in the nightmare of nylon bushes and hard to find spares, the 1998 FSR I had was a ball ache on my paper round wage at the time.

For some reason a couple of weeks ago, I decided I needed a new money pit in my life, maybe I was bored at work?
I fellow forum member sold me a frame at a great price, he was very clear it would need lots of work and I took a punt.
I'm planning on going with a teenage build, similar to the style I rode in the late 90s, so high rise bars and Azonic shorty stem for this one.
So far I have cut the shock out, I know this sounds like a terrible idea but the travel chips were worn, the shock wasn't working and the trunion was seized to the shock body. I tried everything else I could think of first but it ended up being the hacksaw that removed it.
Enough of the words, it's photo time.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,841
I've done a mock up, mostly because I was excited and wanted to see what it's going to look like.
I've now got the thing apart and started the polishing. I've used fine wet and dry on the really pitted sections and t-cut on the rest. I know there are probably better options out there for this task but that would involve going outside and buying things.

I've ordered a new bushing kit, some original decals and after a few of you kind people have had a dig around in your spares I have a shock and travel chips on the way.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,836
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,836
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,836
Nice one Ollie! Signing on for updates on this one. And I'll be seeing a few cheeky Instagram pics in the near future too, no doubt ;)

:cool:

This is going to look sweet and rude wonderfully. I loved my LTS-DH and always grin when out on my STS now.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and enjoy the rear shock. Should be with you soon ;)

Re:

cheers, I'm pretty excited about getting this finished. I go on holiday tomorrow and hopefully I will have a heap of bits to finish this when I arrive home :D

I arrived home from holiday to bushings, decals and a shock so rather than unpack I started fitting bushings. This was pretty easy, the only problem I've encountered was that the pivot on the top tube (pictured with arrow) still has some play. I can live with it unless anyone has some tips? It seems that the play is between the bushings and the pivot axle tube, rather than lateral play between the bushings and the mainframe.

Any tips to get a trunion mount to budge on the shock? penetrating oil? swearing at it? buying it a beer?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,552
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,552
That Cannondale is like a bad rash, I've had it since 2000 when a customer at work wanted to dump it. I have used it on and off as a commuting or retro xc bike for 15 years, I can't bare to get rid of it now, it's so tatty but keeps getting re-used.

Hey buddy, trunion was spinning fine on the shock, you turning it the right way? Easier to turn 180degrees off the bike so it's facing the correct way.

The travel chips are also the other way one mine. Below pic shows this and correct orientation of shock. See adjuster directions top and bottom.

Ah I see, I've spun it round to access the dials now cheers. Had another go at turning the trunion, I think it must be the air I Birmingham! It's no problem, I was just inquisitive about the angle changes.

I've gone with the travel chips in the short travel setting because I'm using such a short travel fork, does that sound sensible or would you recommend trying it into the longer setting anyway?
Your STS is beautiful.

Back