Grip shift - enlighten me

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Not sure when it was introduced, so apologies if it's not pre 97. I've never used grip shift, but toying with the idea on a build just to do something different.

The set I have is SRAM X0 9sp (assuming pretend carbon or are they?) so probably not pre 97, but interested to hear people's opinions on whether it is any good, robust etc. Do I need to use specific brake levers to accommodate the shifters or will any normal brake lever be fine? What grips do leople with them? Cut down normal ones? Mini lock ons?

I was rummaging through my SRAM stash today to lull together a sale thread, but having second thoughts on the grip shift as I'm usually throwing Shimano at my builds but maybe I should try something new for me and a build?

Grip wise I use cut down normal grips although of course you can get specific shorter grips. I cant really comment on function aside from the original CX-DT I had were woeful. SRT500 were kind of OK and X-rays were also OK but fragile. I would guess yours are fairly new, compared to those, so would like to think they are probably quite good by that stage. Just use normal brake levers, I've never used anything specific.

To answer your last question personally I would always take Shimano. Even with the modern stuff. My son has a couple of years old CX bike with Sram Rival and the shifting is no end of problems on that from pretty much day 1. I've got a gravel bike with Force and that works fine but would rather have Ultegra.

There were 7-speed and 8-speed Gripshift bitd - I have the 8-speed on my AluO.
I have 3x9-speed X0 on my modern-is carbon hardtail. I think the Gripshift option has usually been a bit lighter than the Shimano options.
It's always worked for me - but not everyone is a fan.
I have to admit to browsing eBay for 11-speed Gripshift just a couple of days ago 😎

Grips - I tend to use ESI Chunky and cut them down a smidge - and I presume most modern lock-on grips wouldn't cut down?
I think most levers will work - I've had several sets of Hope Mini/Mono/Munu/Evo/Evu that have been fine with them.

Not sure when X0 came out, later than '97 though im sure.

I like gripshift, they work and never had any problems with them, the only thing is the shifting while braking issue, but as with most things you quickly learn to get around that. I am a fan of Shimano shift systems, they do what the say on the tin and as i have used them most my biking life i am used to them, having said that, modern sram, X0 etc, is better imho, always going to be split opinions but the instant gear change with out the cable pull just makes so much more sense and is how all gears should be by now really.

As for grips, the cut down or smaller grips do put your hands where they usually are and you can reach everything still, my Kona Sex Too has long standard grips on and i have to move my hands inboard to change gears, again you get used to it though if i were doing serious xc racing type stuff i would prefer shorter grips. Brake levers all work with gripshift, just some older designs hit the cable housing before you can pull the lever all the way in, but again you can work around it.

Best thing obviously is to just try a set, some people just really cant get on with them.

I can honestly say I can't remember ever miss shifting. Gripshift from day one worked for me and just feels far more natural in use compared to trigger shifters.

al.

Also a fan, had cx-dt by accident. Obviously just fell apart and the grips destroyed themselves, but it was their first effort and moved to M900 on that bike (which promptly lasted about a year)

SRT500R improved that and I used them for years, without hassle they just kept on going.

Sachs/SRAM era came along 1997 ish . I was introduced to them in the retrobike era ;-). The first sets are great and work, no problems there.

I have some late 90s Attack half pipe 9speed on my commuter. A dream of a commuter shifter compared others.
But they are ALL Shimano rear mech based.

Not tried my latest modern 10speed jobs yet.

Give them a go, not having to use your thumbs, can wear thick gloves.
Can shift while braking if you want.. Great stuff.

Miss shift, never happened to me. You must be riding oddly. 😂

If you are going to dip your toes/fingers into the Gripshift pool and are going the Shimano compatible route (pre esp) then SRT 600's are a good robust shifter, steer clear of X-rays as the housing are fragile.

al.

Back