GIVING ROAD BIKING A GO.. PLEASE HELP

MONG

Retro Newbie
if you can....

hi all ive inherited a rather interesting vintage road bike, and would love to start riding it in anger as it used to...

i dont have to much info on it but am lead to believe it to be built around 1967 and has been wall mounted for over 25 years.

i was going to begin a full restoration but want an ID on the frame etc before i go ahead so that i stand a chance of doing it right.

there are lots of pics to be found ....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/unleashthe ... hotostream

further.. and advice towards putting it on the road would be great.

many thanx

tony

Bit of a mixed bag of components on it. Hubs are Campag Nuovo Gran Sport I think. Early Record rear mech and what could be an early Record front one (need to see a front view of the body and how the outer cable attaches).

Nice pair of Universal CP's, TA/Stronglight cranks etc, Brooks saddle. I reckon the pedals are possibly German Universal? ('U' trademark on the dustcap?) The bars could be some Dawes ones, they had a range of engraved 'bars (made by GB I think?).

Componentry and cable routing indicates a 60's build to me, as does the frame number with a '60' in it. The lug design does look slightly familiar but not certain about Carlton, possibly something else?

All in all a good starting point for a renovation project. Good luck with it - and keep us posted on progress!

huge thanx for that peeps, new avenues of research opened !!!

lol

thanx again

tony ;)

A photo of the front of the headtube, showing the rest of the design of the lugs, would be good. Are there any rivet holes where a badge might have been attached?

Stab-in-the-dark: maybe built by Holdsworthy (Holdsworth / Claud Buteler / Grubb)? Based purely on the preponderence of Campg and Milremo bits... The head tube lugs look a bit like http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... sm-rb.html although there are plenty of other details that differ...

It looks pretty tasty in any case.

Back