Free Bike Day - late 80's Precision "Columbrium"

New York Albertan

Old School Hero
A guy got this at a police auction here, years ago. Sat in his shed since, never ridden. In bad shape when he got it - handlebar is out of whack, 15-speed gears hard to shift, Dutch Van Schothorst steel rims, "Lee Chi" levers. Weighs a ton. Ugly, too - dull purple w/the type of patina you see on a 50's Ford. Lugged, though, and made in Canada. Still, a real mess. But it has a working bell, which I needed. And, I could get some experience perhaps pulling it apart.

Anyway, I got the rust-frozen handle bars straight, got the brakes right (though not quite right)... WD-40'd the shifters... And she rides again - probably to Value Village Thrift Store for a 20% off coupon!! (I'll keep the bell!) The lower tube is insanely thick!

Attachments

• 05be4c45-8763-45bc-8224-ca266be47f00.jpeg
    05be4c45-8763-45bc-8224-ca266be47f00.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
A guy got this at a police auction here, years ago. Sat in his shed since, never ridden. In bad shape when he got it - handlebar is out of what, 15-speed gears hard to shift, Dutch Van Schothorst steel rims, "Lee Chi" levers. Weighs a ton. Ugly, too - dull purple w/the type of patina you see on a 50's Ford. Lugged, though, and made in Canada. Still, a real mess. But it has a working bell, which I needed. And, I could get some experience perhaps pulling it apart.

Anyway, I got the rust-frozen handle bars straight, got the brakes right... WD-40'd the shifters... And she rides again - probably to Value Village Thrift Store for a 20% off coupon!! (I'll keep the bell!) The lower tube is insanely thick!
Just took this old dog for a one hour run w/my son. The low gears (15-speed Shimano SIS) seem to shift well. The high gears - 2nd is good, 3rd "eh" - good in low gears 4-5. High gear 1 is okay. It's a smooth ride on old, somewhat dry tires. It takes bumpy road well, but any jumps off curbs are seriously felt. Not sure what the steel rims add or subtract from the ride. Brakes need work. The seat comfort is quite good.

Pleasantly surprised by the ride on road here. Shocked, actually. Pretty cool, for a freebie! She will not be going to Value Village, but will become my winter commuter, if I can get her fixed up a little more.

A good day...

Last edited:
Back