Freddy Grubb help needed!!!

DanielMaxton

Retro Newbie
Hi folks,

This is my first post but I have used this forum a number of times for frameset information so hopefully someone can help!

I have just purchased a beautiful old road bike and the decals show "Freddy Grubb". The only info I could find online was for "Freddie Grubb" but these bikes seemed a much lower spec than the one I purchased.

It has beautiful steel lug detailing, full Shimano 105 derailleurs, pedals, chainset, brake levers, headset and hubs on dark grey Magic MA40 wheels so it seems like a pretty high end bike of it's time. The brakes also look of superb quality.

Can anyone shed any light on this bike? The badge says FH Grubb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, photo attached...

Danny

Grubb_1.jpg

Grubb_2.jpg

Grubb_3.jpg

Grubb_4.jpg

Grubb_5.jpg

Grubb.jpg

Re:

The groupset was added late I would guess. The rest seems 70's and the groulset is early 90s.

Does the bike have a serial number under the bottom bracket.

Re:

Thanks for getting in touch, the frameset looked to me like it might be for a 27" wheel originally as the clearance looks quite large in the front forks and rear triangle.

Couldn't find a serial number under the bottom bracket unfortunately.

if the head badge has London SE20 embossed then it's most likely a 1950's Freddie Grubb frame with later added componentry as mentioned in the previous post, the applied transfers may be incorrectly spelt after market ones when the frame was refinished.....the frame/fork steerer number would authenticate provenance

Griff

The Freddy Grubb decals are not really original decals, the headbadge dates the frame as excel says :)

Shaun

Re:

Thanks guys, the head badge is stamped London SE20 but I will have to get the serial number tomorrow. Am I right in thinking the decals should say "Freddie Grubb" rather than Freddy with the y? Are these a good quality steel frame?

1960's would have an earlier fork crown and also a lamp bracket boss on the fork blade, I suggest 70's.

I sold probably about 100 Holdsworthy Grubb frames in the 60's. Excellent value standard design, were about £7 . 12 . 6d and built with drawn tubing, generally reynolds grade A.

Keith.

Back